Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2012
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road
Re: Whisker Pole Sticker Shock

Prices on all this stuff, including blocks, rigging, etc. is exorbitant. You either have to be rich or handy to own a sailboat. I made a whisker pole from a pc. of 2-1/2" X 1/4" 6061 T6 aluminum tubing bought from an online metal dealer then fabricated/welded up my own s.s. spring-loaded ends based on standard pole-end designs. It is every bit as good and, in fact, more rugged than the $2000 variety. Made it non-telescoping, just shy of J-length, although making a sliding pole would be no problem if you want adjustable capability. I may yet do that. Materials: some s.s. flat stock, tubing and round stock for the spring pins, alum tubing, some scrap foam for floatation, 2 springs. Cost: around $250. Satisfaction about avoiding being bent over-PRICELESS.

Last edited by smurphny; 04-26-2012 at 03:29 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-26-2012
A New Adventurer

funjohnson is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
A clockwork watch might as well be steam driven it is so obsolete. I have a matched set of Seth Thomas clock & barometer - really beautiful, high quality stuff but the clock is clockwork and doesn't keep time as well as a $10 battery job. Plus you have to wind the damn thing every few days.
The amazing part of the entire episode is that I was able to sell the broken Omega on eBay (fully disclosed the issue) for only about $300 less than I paid for it 10 years before.

Maybe whisker poles will appreciate too!
Old 04-26-2012

MarkSF is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
A clockwork watch might as well be steam driven it is so obsolete. I have a matched set of Seth Thomas clock & barometer - really beautiful, high quality stuff but the clock is clockwork and doesn't keep time as well as a $10 battery job. Plus you have to wind the damn thing every few days.
I picked my Tissot up for $400, it'll never need a battery, and it is accurate enough. It gains about 1s a day, so I put it back a minute once a month so it is always within 30s of the true time. The average accuracy over a month is within 15s of the true time. How much more accuracy do you need? Nothing I do day to day requires timing to closer than a minute.

If we're going to talk about technological anachronisms, I'd better sell my Bristol right now and get a new Beneteau.

A mechanical watch is more about the intrinsic beauty of fine engineering. Not to mention that the true cost of ownership of anything is depreciation. You can buy a used Omega and sell it in 10 or 20 years time for what you paid for it.
Old 04-26-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
I picked my Tissot up for $400, it'll never need a battery, and it is accurate enough. It gains about 1s a day, so I put it back a minute once a month so it is always within 30s of the true time. The average accuracy over a month is within 15s of the true time. How much more accuracy do you need? Nothing I do day to day requires timing to closer than a minute.

If we're going to talk about technological anachronisms, I'd better sell my Bristol right now and get a new Beneteau.

A mechanical watch is more about the intrinsic beauty of fine engineering. Not to mention that the true cost of ownership of anything is depreciation. You can buy a used Omega and sell it in 10 or 20 years time for what you paid for it.
I fully appreciate fine engineering, probably more than most, but if I'm paying a HUGE premium for something, it better work AT LEAST as well as cheaper alternatives. Would you pay Porsche prices for a car that didn't perform as well as a Chevy, just because it was nicely turned out? By the way, I can guarantee that Tissot will have a lot more shop time for repairs & adjusting over it's life than the time needed for batteries in a digital. I'm old enough to have had mostly clockwork watches - some quite expensive ones, so I know whereof I speak.

Would you also prefer an old, high quality sextant over a good GPS? 20 mile accuracy at best compared to 20 feet all the time, at night, in fog or overcast?

I can understand what drives collectors of old, high quality timepieces, I'm not about to sell my Seth Thomas set. What I hold in disdain are the suckers who pay $20K for a new Rolex, think they've bought "the best" and make a big deal of the sweep second hand. That is nothing but a nouveau riche status game played by fools - the same kind of people who pay $thousands for a bottle of wine and try to convince others that it is "better".

There's two born every minute.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 04-26-2012
Banned

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

Bought mine a length of 1 1/2 inch sch 40 aluminium pipe , in a scrapyard for $1 a pound. Works well on my 31 for several Pacific crossings, and 28 years of full time cruising. . I use 2 inch sch 40 aluminiumn for the 36 footers , No problems.
smurphny likes this.
Old 06-30-2012

Lusty Slogger is on a distinguished road

I saw an article regarding building your own whisker pole. I don't know if it were in GOB or not but it suggested using those extendable handles for painting. I don't know if they would work on a larger boat but I sail a 16 foot Sunbird and those do seem strong enough for that. I bought a 8 foot extendable handle for $25.00 (you can get them down to $15.00 at Lowes but those are thin and spindly looking) I bought hardware (a hook for the mast, a threaded bolt for the sail) and a piece of plastic tubing for the threaded bolt. Total cost less than $30.00 and an hour's worth of work. For me it works fine.

Thanks

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.