SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Ratcliffe windvanes???? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/86591-ratcliffe-windvanes.html)

Shemlock 04-24-2012 07:59 AM

Ratcliffe windvanes????

Has anybody ever used one and are they blue water worthy? Also is the company still in business?Will a Norvane be as good or better.I am a cheap SOB and can't spend big money on a Monitor etc.
Any help is much appreciated!

SVTatia 04-24-2012 09:38 AM

Re: Ratcliffe windvanes????

I had one for many years and was very satisfied. It steered the boat better than anybody on any wind strength and any point of sail (really!). It was custom designed as most of them were, and the boat had an outboard rudder with a trim-tab. It was flawless and a great piece of equipment, all the parts were stock, so replacements if ever needed were easy to get.
Unfortunately (for us) Karl retired and I believe he closed the business.
Where did you come across this one? I wish I could find a used one for my current boat.

SVTatia 04-24-2012 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shemlock (Post 862531)
...and are they blue water worthy?

I missed this part - yes, mine did over 30,0000 ocean miles without complaining.

kosta.k 04-24-2012 12:26 PM

Did you look into Holland Windvanes? Its a Dutch product and they do Kits as well. I think the large version as a Kit costs around USD 1,300. I don't have one (yet), but saw them quite often in the Netherlands and those people I have spoken with were fully convinced about the product. Some of them Bluewater Cruisers and one particular guy who is sailing from Northern Europe to Spain through the Bay of Biscay every year. Here is a link: http://www.hollandwindvane.com/self-steering/index.htm.

SVTatia 04-24-2012 01:54 PM

Kosta - thanks for the information. Certainly worth checking this out.

Shemlock 04-24-2012 03:18 PM

Thanks for the replies!
SV you were most helpful and was a factor in my decision to buy it.I found it on Ebay as well as Craigslist he had just advertized it yesterday and I just finalized the deal 5 minutes ago.I have been looking for some time and I found a Monitor on Ebay or Craigslist for 1650.00 way too much for my budget,but may be still available.I called the company that made Monitor and they are quite impressive.Quite expensive as well.Good luck with your search..
Regards!

SVTatia 04-24-2012 06:00 PM

Shemlock, glad to be of assistance.
Congratulations on your purchase - you will not regret it.
Which model did you buy? What boat do you have?
If you need, I have the original documentation for mine, and if they are somewhat similar this could be useful. I think most of them had the same components, except for the dimensions and in water pieces.
PM me if you need it, and send the eBay pictures as well.

Shemlock 04-24-2012 07:08 PM

SV,
Im sure by now you know that I am computer illiterate and hope you got my last message.
I also don't know how to sail though that didn,t stop me from buying and refitting one and singlehanding her for the 2011 season.Though I am not a sailor I schooled myself and took classes USCG and have read most of the important players Roth,Slocum,Harry Pidgeon,Tristan Jones,Farley Mowat, oh right Farley isn't a sailor they just named a ship after him.My point is people like you who are true sailors and gentlemen make this addiction worth abusing. Just thought you should know...Best regards, Todd

wandrin currents 03-14-2013 07:16 PM

To SV Tatia: I purchased my Tayana 37 about 1 1/2 years ago. It came with a Ratcliffe windvane but absolutely no documentation/paperwok/manual on how it operates. Would you mind sending me the documentation you refer to? Appreciate it!

SVTatia 03-14-2013 10:32 PM

PM sent.