Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2012

Frogwatch is on a distinguished road
Solar chimney

Here is an idea I will try to make for sailing. In hot weather with no shore power, staying on your boat can be miserable if there is no wind to allow a windscoop to be used. Any air flow thru the boat can make all the diff in whether you use her or not.
So, I want to build a "solar chimney" that will mount on a forward hatch. The bottom half will be either white fabric or even silvered reflective fabric and the top will be transparent material to pass the IR sunlight. Inside this upper part will also be a concentric black absorber. The top part would be raised using the forward halyard and it would have a conical cap to prevent rain from falling in it.
Sunlight will heat the air in this upper part causing it to rise producing a draft in the boat.
The trick will be to maximize the thermal differential between the top and bottom parts. Minimizing heating in the bottom is easy with silvery or white fabric. Getting good heating of the top part is harder. I'd probably make half of it silvered to reflect heat back into it while the front half is transparent. However, I am not sure I need the heat absorber to make maximum contact with the air to get good heating or if sunlight heating the air directly will do it.

I'll begin experimenting when I finish working on my super efficient solar still for making fresh water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-24-2012

shogan50 is on a distinguished road
Re: Solar chimney

No first hand experience with this, but I'm a mechanical engineer and took heat transfer 101 almost 2 decades ago. You can't heat the air directly with sunlight as it is transparent. You can largely only heat it by getting it in contact with a hot surface. Also, you don't need hot and cold parts, just make sure your hot parts are all at greater elevation than the cabin you want to cool. With that, just a black tube, as long as you can practically make it should work well. You might do a little research and find the "solar emmisivity" value for various materials (colors) (may be difficult to find.) Just because it is black doesn't necessarily mean its solar emmisivity value is low. An easy comparison can be had by laying candidate materials on a horizontal surface in the sun and measuring their temperature with an IR (laser) thermometer after the temperatures have reached steady state. An absorbing tube in a clear tube would be more efficient because you wouldn't have as much convection on the outside of the tube, but I'd be surprised if it was worth the trouble. Just make your tube taller to compensate.

My $.02
twenty1knots likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-24-2012
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

I like your idea and look forward to your results. What Frogwatch says makes sense and I especially like the idea of a black tube inside a clear tube. As I imagine the system, I think your biggest hurdle will be that it works too well, and the induced convection of air (the stated goal) will produce convective cooling of the tube itself, thus slowing the desired airflow.

How about a black tube inside a white tube with water in-between? Think sun shower (bag of water with one clear side and one black side). Water has an extraordinary specific heat capacity and won't be easily cooled by the air moving through the tube. You could even add hot water to kick-start it, though based on my experience with sun-showers it wouldn't take long to get it started. Also, if you make the inside tube longer than the outside tube, and sized it to fit a standard deck-plate hole, you'd have an easy way to stick it on the deck.

Keep us posed!

MedSailor

PS. Apparently this idea is quite ancient:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.

Last edited by MedSailor; 04-24-2012 at 03:13 PM.
Old 04-24-2012

LakeSuperiorGeezer is on a distinguished road

I have a brother who works for the National Park Service. The Park Service has tried the solar chimney on both chemical and composting toilets. Engineers tried testing this to see what was going on as it did seem to work. What they found was that the wind accounted for the air movement. If you are going to do this, I would suggest testing it out first.Maybe a really tall chimney would work, but the boom and/or sails could be a problem. You would probably be better off with a battery powered fan with solar charging of the battery.
Old 04-24-2012
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road

Possibly another "thermal chimney" would be for higher latitude sailors (such as on Great Lakes) to, in some way, bring cold water from the thermocline layer (maybe 15 meters down) up to cool the boat. 'I'm looking at you, scientists'.
Old 04-24-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Anodize keel-stepped mast matte black. Solar chimney.

There's also more wind aloft, putting a turbine cap on it will work the same way it does on building vent caps, sucking up more air.
Old 04-24-2012

Frogwatch is on a distinguished road

I thought of using the mast that way but I sorta think that the smaller diameter might produce too much internal drag. Besides, mine is deck stepped. Try it, I'd like o know if it works. Instead of anodizing, you might just paint the top 15' or so black.
Old 04-25-2012
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road

Quote:
What exactly is it the great lake sailors need COLD water for???
I thought they already had surplus of that.
We just need to get all the ingredients in the right place. Toward the end of August, the air temp may be 90F with no wind, and the water temp... not 90F. A bit like geothermal heating. Just need to drop a tube unto the water and figure out how to passively get cool water to flow up to a heat exchanger in the smoldering hot cabin.
Old 04-25-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

"Passively".
And that's where the perpetual motion schemes fall apart,nothing happens passively contrary to entropy.
"Swamp coolers" are old technology but you need yards and yards of piping or terracotta or whatever your heat exchange material will be on the "swapping" end. And then you need an active pump to haul up the water, and a way to clean the marine life out of the plumbing, or maintain filters to do that, and if the water is salty you'll need cupronickel or something else besides copper or aluminum.

Still, if you're in fresh water, don't have zebra mussels, and do have a power supply, water misting and swamp coolers both work. Might invest in a reflective awning or something simpler first though.
Old 04-25-2012

ebs001 is on a distinguished road

Years ago I saw A/Cs adverised that used cold water pumped from below then through through a heat exchanger with a fan. I had forgotten about them until I saw this thread. I tried to google them but came up with nothing. They would probably be easy enough to build.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.