Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2012
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough
Re: Is this a Good Sander for Bottom stripping

The drywall sander, with the screen, and keeping it wet, cuts through bottom paint like no sandpaper I've ever used. No dust, excellent results, and a lot less work than an orbital sander. The big difference is the direction you sand. Instead of sanding longitudinal on the hull, you sand from the waterline toward the keel. It's a lot less strenuous and you're able to get into those tight curves where the keep meets the hull. Of course, some areas will obviously have to be done by hand because of tight access.

Good Luck,

Gary
msmith10 likes this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-25-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlineasy View Post
The drywall sander, with the screen, and keeping it wet, cuts through bottom paint like no sandpaper I've ever used. No dust, excellent results, and a lot less work than an orbital sander. The big difference is the direction you sand. Instead of sanding longitudinal on the hull, you sand from the waterline toward the keel. It's a lot less strenuous and you're able to get into those tight curves where the keep meets the hull. Of course, some areas will obviously have to be done by hand because of tight access.

Good Luck, Gary
Can you supporters of the drywall sander provide some pictures or links to what you are using? I tried the one pictured below and it was less than useless - it merely wore the "tooth" off the sanding screen.
Attached Thumbnails
Is this a Good Sander for Bottom stripping-004.jpg   Is this a Good Sander for Bottom stripping-003.jpg  
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 04-25-2012

The one I saw used at the marina had a swiveling head--not fixed like the one in the photos. And, the guys using it dipped the head in a bucket of warm water every few minutes, which kept the screen from clogging up. The guy with the boat next to mine used one screen for each side of the boat--total of 2 screens for a 30-T Catalina. Before he started the hull had several fairly large chunks missing in the paint. When he finished those areas were smooth as silk. I think he purchased his at Home Depot, but I'm not sure. I'll ask him when I see him this coming weekend.

Cheers,

Gary
Old 04-26-2012

follysurf is on a distinguished road

Boatpoker:

1. I know it is gonna be a crappy job but boat is in my yard and it is very expensive to have someone come do it. I knew what I was getting into prior to having it hauled to my house and maybe it will be a good learning experience. (I'm sure I will gladly pay someone next go round though!)

2. There are blisters. So maybe I don't need to completley sand out the barrier coat, but I would like to get rid of the blisters and start fresh.

3. It is 1974 27' Catalina
Old 04-26-2012

H2814D is on a distinguished road

Haaa...Are you completely unsure of what to use now? Are you glad you asked? :-)
Old 04-26-2012

mmazour is on a distinguished road

This would be the drywall sander Travlineasy er Gary is referring to I believe.
Molded Plastic Pole Sander
Attached Thumbnails
Is this a Good Sander for Bottom stripping-6157_0big.jpg  
Old 04-26-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmazour View Post
This would be the drywall sander Travlineasy er Gary is referring to I believe.
Molded Plastic Pole Sander
Thanks for that. It looks the same as the one I used except for the swiveling head feature. I guess I should try screens from a different manufacturer since others seem to have had good results with it, even though I didn't. I also didn't know about the water dip aspect - that might make all the difference.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 04-26-2012
Junior member, rest old

msmith10 is on a distinguished road

I just sanded my C&C 30 a week ago. I've done it with an orbital, a belt, a disc, you name it, and I'll never do that again-- too much work and too much mess. This time I wet sanded with a swiveling drywall sander (as shown above) on a pole with 100 grit screen. I hosed the bottom down then sanded. Every couple square feet I stopped, hosed off the "mush" and the sander and restarted. It was the easiest sanding job I've ever done. The boat is painted with Micron Extra, a soft ablative and I've always disliked the fact that even with a sponge roller or roll + tip, you can't get a smooth finish. I sanded it to smooth off the "wrinkles" in the old paint and to remove some of the buildup. The result was great- as smooth a finish as VC17. There was no dust and I did the whole boat in about 5-6 hours.
I did have to replace the sander- my first one was plastic and the piece that swivels broke. The next one I bought was all metal and worked well. I used about 8-10 screens for the whole project.
Contrary to one of the posts above, I found it easier for the most part to sand lengthwise- just physically easier. In a few areas sanding vertically was better but mostly for-and-aft. You can tell when it's time to stop and rinse everything-- a layer of mush builds up.
I don't know how it would work on a hard paint, but on an ablative, it's great.
Old 04-26-2012

jeffphoto is on a distinguished road

Depending on the state of the bottom, a two handed scraper may be needed first. Then I like the Ridgid (Home Depot about $130) 6" hook & loop 6 hole R.O. hooked up to a shop vac. Disks harder to get than 5", but much faster. Use 60 or 40 grit, depending. Amazone a good source.
Old 04-27-2012

The head I saw used was metal, but it looked almost identical to the one pictured above.

Cheers,

Gary

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.