Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-27-2012
Sailing Junkie

ehmanta is on a distinguished road
Re: Is this a Good Sander for Bottom stripping

Having done this job a time or two, I can tell you that there's a couple of variables involved.
One, do you know what the previous layers of paint are? Hard or ablative. If it is hard paint, the work load just doubled or even tripled if it is Trinidad (stuffs just plain hard).
Two, how many layers?
Three, what kind of environmental laws are in your state? Some states it is illegal to sand without vacuum systems, some states it is illegal to do it yourself.....a professional/licensed boat yard is required.

Since you boat is fairly small, it shouldn't take too terribly long, but you may find that a sharp scraper will cut through it like butter, until it dulls then you need to sharpen or change blades. Here's a good one:
Sandvik / Bahco Double-handed 655 Ergo Scrapers

Finish off with a random orbital, I don't think you can go wrong with the big names like DeWalt, Porter Cable, Milwaukee, Bosch, but sty away from cheap ones like Ryobi and Harbor Frieght, they'll have a significantly shorter life. Make sure they are comfortable to hold inverted, sideways, backwards while applying pressure. Variable speed is also very helpful...helps from burning the paint and gumming the pad.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-27-2012

follysurf is on a distinguished road

Alright, I am going to try this drywall scraper but feel that I will need the orbital at points of the process and it probably also a good tool to use between coats. ( have not read instructions on paint but assume you still need to sand betweeen coats).

So back to the original question. Does orbits per minute or operating amps matter more. The Dewalt seems to be the most comfortable but has a far less opm with greater amps. Other Dewalts, Bosch,Porter etc are about 3 amps with 7000 to 12000 opm. the other Dewalt is 6 amps with 3600 opm.

Thanks for all the responses and opinions. Never even thought a drywall screen is the best choice!
Old 04-27-2012
Sailing Junkie

ehmanta is on a distinguished road

The fewer the rpm's the less likely it will gum up because it won't built up as much heat which is a good thing when sanding paint. The higher rpm's is great for getting a smoother finish on wood without apparent sanding scratches. For bottom paint, this doesn't matter. I use a 7" right angle sander/grinder with 50 grit disks for removing bottom paint in a hurry but it will leave a tremendous amount of sanding marks/swirls. Caution: the big sanders like this will throw dust all over you and the environment
Old 04-27-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by follysurf View Post
Alright, I am going to try this drywall scraper but feel that I will need the orbital at points of the process and it probably also a good tool to use between coats. ( have not read instructions on paint but assume you still need to sand betweeen coats).

So back to the original question. Does orbits per minute or operating amps matter more. The Dewalt seems to be the most comfortable but has a far less opm with greater amps. Other Dewalts, Bosch,Porter etc are about 3 amps with 7000 to 12000 opm. the other Dewalt is 6 amps with 3600 opm.

Thanks for all the responses and opinions. Never even thought a drywall screen is the best choice!
Amps = horsepower and as every car guy knows, you can NEVER have too much horsepower. Go with the DeWalt.

I'd use a longboard like the one I posted a picture of, or maybe one of the drywall screen sanders for between coats - it will fair things up and you only want to trim off the high spots in that situation - you don't need "tooth" for the next coat of bottom paint.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.