Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2012

Brewgyver is on a distinguished road
Survey found corrosion in mast

I tried searching for a thread addressing this, was not able to find one. I'm considering a Catalina 30. Found referals here for a local Surveyor, and hired him. Most of the boat checks out fine, with the usual list of minor items, but the surveyor found corrosion at the foot of the mast, below the exit block.

I shrank the pic that the surveyor emailed to me, if you want to see teh 1.8 meg original image, I posted it here:
http://home.roadrunner.com/~brewgyve...s/IMG_0529.JPG

The surveyor thought the cure might be to cut off the bottom of the mast, and fabricate a step thick enough to make up the difference. I'm waiting to get the opinion of a rigger. Meanwhile, I contacted a guy that runs a sailboat junking business to see if he had a mast, told him about the problem, and he suggested simply tabernacling the mast. I'm just researching at this point, haven't discussed the issue with the sellers yet.

I would greatly appreciat the advice of some of the sage sailors here!

Thanks in advance,
Brewgyver
Attached Thumbnails
Survey found corrosion in mast-phpf6f2q4pm.jpg  

Last edited by Brewgyver; 04-25-2012 at 04:26 PM. Reason: terminology
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-25-2012

tommays will become famous soon enough
Re: Survey found corrosion in mast

IMHP its pretty bad and must have held a lot of water inside a long time as those are beefy masts

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-25-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

There are plenty of boats for sale without corroded masts. Make it the sellers problem to source and fix, don't just try to get the money. Aggravation defeats the purpose of sailing.
RobGallagher likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 04-25-2012

jsaronson is on a distinguished road
Survey found corrosion in mast

I had to have that done on a Pearson 28. It was a keel mount. You'll need a rigger, crane and a couple of boat bucks.
Old 04-25-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewgyver View Post
The surveyor thought the cure might be to cut off the bottom of the mast, and fabricate a step thick enough to make up the difference. Brewgyver
I did that with the keel stepped mast on my boat - took 2" off it and made the new step 2"thicker - it needed a new step anyway so it was no biggy.

Yours is different in that you have those halyard exit boxes right where it will have to be trimmed - they will need to be reinstalled higher as well. Good luck getting the fasteners out of them.

Either get a big discount on the boat to cover all the work or keep looking. Paying pros to do it all will be $$$$$.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 04-25-2012

Tempest is on a distinguished road

There's really insufficient information to give a definitive answer. Is this a market priced vessel? or a fire sale? Rhetorical...

There's paint still covering the base, I can't tell when I blow up the photo how deep that black spot is. Looks like it's shedding metal ? I had some minor pitting and peeling paint on the base of my keel stepped mast and had the yard remove the paint up about 2 feet smooth, and epoxy paint the base. I didn't have anything like the crater you have there. And you can't see what's behind the collar.

In either case the mast needs to come down, the paint needs to come off for inspection. Then you'd have to be prepared for a minor fix..or a major adjustment to your rigging. Worst Case scenario a new mast.

A shortened mast affects everything, rigging, sails, boom height, etc...it's a ripple effect.

Catalina 30's must be a dime a dozen...This would probably send me looking for another boat.
Old 04-25-2012

souljour2000 is on a distinguished road

I'd move on...that looks pretty rough and $$$$ to fix no matter how you slice it...boat-buying should be more fun than that unless you get the thing for huge discount of say... 4-5 grand off asking price if everything else checks out...a new mast and install is gonna be close to that on the cheap end I would think...

Last edited by souljour2000; 04-25-2012 at 07:56 PM.
Old 04-26-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
There's really insufficient information to give a definitive answer. Is this a market priced vessel? or a fire sale? Rhetorical...

There's paint still covering the base, I can't tell when I blow up the photo how deep that black spot is. Looks like it's shedding metal ? A shortened mast affects everything, rigging, sails, boom height, etc...it's a ripple effect.
I believe that "black spot" is where the mast wall is completely perforated. Shortening the mast MUST be offset by increasing the step height a corresponding amount - there is no other option or you would have to re-rig the entire boat.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 04-26-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Typical problem, and yes that is a typical cure. As long as it is done properly (strong & keeps alignment and mast height) cutting off the bottom of the mast--clean and level--and putting a step under it is nothing new and nothing to worry about. And if the new mast step is fabricated properly, with some weep holes, the problem won't recur.

HOWEVER, it does mean taking down the mast and doing some work, and that should mean a substantial price adjustment to reflect the job.

At the same time you might want to rerig the standing rigging, since the mast will be down anyhow.
Old 08-20-2012

Brewgyver is on a distinguished road

Just realiezed I never revisited this thread. I did pass that boat up, the seller made that decision easy when they would not reduce the price to reflect the cost of the repair. I bought another Cat 30 three weeks later. She was a few years older, and had tiller steering and A4 compare to the other's wheel steering and diesel. BUT she had had the mast, boom, and ALL standing rigging replaced less than two years ago.

BTW, the last time I looked (in the last 2 weeks), the other Cat was still on CL.