Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-26-2012

dave6330 is on a distinguished road
Talking Den Haan Rotterdam

Itís so very easy and commonplace these days to find fault with commercial activities, condemning them as soulless entities bent only on relieving you of your hard earned money. However, every now and then, you come across a company that, for no other reason than that they are run by good people, causes you to reevaluate your bias against big business. Yesterday I had such an opportunity.

Several years ago my wife and I purchased a Den Haan Trawler Lamp from West Marine. This fairly expensive oil lamp was destined for our first sailboat and was, in fact, a wedding anniversary gift we gave to each other that year. Over the years it has provided light and warmth on two sailboats and in our living room at home. However, it began to burn somewhat erratically and we became leery of lighting it because it required constant adjustments to keep the flame from getting too high.

I contacted Den Haan Rotterdam via their webpage to see if they could give me some advise as to correcting the malfunction. To my astonishment I received a personal e-mail from Mario den Haan himself recommending that I send them the suspect part for evaluation. I did so and within a week he e-mailed me again, advising me that his team had determined what the problem was, had corrected it and would mail the part back to me in the next days post. Again, I was astonished at the level of service and the personal contact.

Now comes the really good part! Yesterday we received a box in the mail from Den Haan Rotterdam containing not only the repaired part (now in perfect working order) but, essentially, the entire lower part of the lamp, including the fuel tank and a new wick! To top it off, they had included a Den Haan Rotterdam baseball cap, which is now my pride and joy!
As you read this, I hope it was clear that I did not purchase the lamp directly from Den Haan, nor was there any warranty stated or implied when we bought the lamp. We are neither wealthy nor influential and this company was under no obligation at all to respond the way that they did. All of their wonderful customer service was provided free of charge and Ēout of the goodness of their heartsĒ.

In restoring our lamp, Den Haan Rotterdam (and in particular, Mario den Haan) gave us a truly remarkable gift.

Mario, if you get around to reading this, I humbly THANK YOU!

"Fight the good fight, holding on to faith and a good conscience. Some have rejected these and so have shipwrecked thier faith"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-26-2012
Battered and Bruised

Silvio is on a distinguished road
Re: Den Haan Rotterdam

Great to hear! It is not often that such good service is publicly applauded.
I have been considering buying a lamp for our boat and now will look for one from ths company. So ya see, your recommendation is bringing action just like that.

Good to see your post.
Old 04-26-2012

Silvio,

I have two of their lamps, a trawler (the one my wife and I bought for our anniversary years ago) and a clipper we picked up used. Both are fine lamps and our recent experience has absolutely SOLD us on Den Hann Rotterdam. I know you won't be disappointed.

Very Respectfully,

Dave

"Fight the good fight, holding on to faith and a good conscience. Some have rejected these and so have shipwrecked thier faith"
Old 04-27-2012

meuritt is on a distinguished road

I have one of those trawler lamps and love it for the light and the warmth. It came with the boat. Fussy it is, though using kerosene and not 'lamp oil' made a huge difference. One internet retailer of the lamp clearly says this lamp continually burns brighter, not to be left alone. Which makes some sense, the longer the lamp is burning the warmer the fuel container gets because the reflector is aimed right at the fuel, after an hour the fuel container is warm, not hot, in a 50į room.

Even with quality fuel and a brand new wick I must keep an eye on it though it is much better behaved than it was with the lamp oil. Are you saying now it is light and forget?
Old 04-30-2012

I burn a 100% parafin lamp oil because it doesn't smoke or smell. I woudn't EVER recommend a "light and forget" mode of operation - simply too much risk. However, now that the flame spreader has been fixed, the lamp burns steady without its earlier tendency to flare up. I would think that if the lamp burns brighter as the fuel warms (this seems plausable), once the oil has warmed up the flame would tend to stabilize.

Tags
den haan lamps , den haan rotterdam , mario den haan

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.