SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Asymmetric and pulpit (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/86741-asymmetric-pulpit.html)

chris_gee 04-27-2012 05:35 PM

Asymmetric and pulpit

I am looking at the feasibility of using an asymmetric with either a snuffer or furler. Singlehanded and not that agile I suspect that the symmetric and snuffer may be a bit of a pain except for longer legs.
What I want to know is the angle the tack pendant runs at roughly.
My pulpit extends about 6" beyond and is 2 feet above the only feasible position attached to the anchor roller cheeks for the tack attachment with a small furler. Without the furler I could go back another 9 ".
The pulpit is closed and I would prefer the tack line not to put any great force on it as I doubt it would take it. I guess I could redo the pulpit to be open.
I don't want to put on a small retracting pod as apart from the cost the geometry would involve cutting into the bulwark and it seems overkill.
So should the line from sheave to tack be straight? Should the tack pendant run inside or outside the pulpit?
The other idea is to use a block as on a sheet to change the angle so that the tack runs up then forward akin to using a tacker in the same way but with a block so that the tack is adjustable.
The only boat I have had one on, and that was 30 years ago, didn't have a pulpit, and sail could be worked on from the front hatch, so I would appreciate some comment from those with practical experience in a similar situation.

Faster 04-27-2012 05:51 PM

Re: Asymmetric and pulpit

We fly the tack pennant under our second anchor roller, ahead of the furler but inside the pulpit. It generally flies within a foot of the top rail height and doesn't seem to put any considerable strain on the pulpit. Our pulpit extends similarly to what you describe. I did try it outside the rail but it spent more time rubbing along the pulpit that way. YMMV, of course.

tdw 04-27-2012 07:05 PM

Chris,
I'd have thought that on your Contessa a snuffer would be fairly easy use and the furler is probably overkill dollarwise.

On our Van de Stadt 34 we used system same as Fast and it was quite satisfactory. On the bigger boat we are thinking of a furler cos the sail is simply too big to be dragging back and forth from the bow to aft locker. I want the think on deck and out of the way plus I'd rather the weight up front.

msmith10 04-27-2012 07:05 PM

Along this same line, I have always rigged my asymmetrical with the tack attached to the forestay by a shackle (I have hank-ons) and a downhaul from there back to the cockpit. Am I complicating things by not just using a tackline to a block at the base of the forestay and leaving the tack off the forestay? I can see some advantage to a "tackline to a block" system when dousing the chute.

chris_gee 04-27-2012 07:54 PM

Thanks all. I just got a snuffer but they made it so four feet of the spinnaker hangs out. They would redo it to say 2' partly because of the lew and tack pieces but say to try it and it will be ok.
So tried the spinnaker for the first time - a little difficult with the halyard and uphaul led back to cockpit. Made worse by the line labelled spin halyard wasn't so I thought it was jammed. I had just assumed ah second masthead halyard but there is another line on a crane. I guess it will all become easier but it just made me think less time on deck in a chop was a good idea.
Msmith10 I think you are mixing up a dousing line and tackline. Having the tack fixed to the forestay is ok, but being able to let it out further widens the slot before the main and can even send it a bit to windward helping it catch more air. It also makes the sail a bit fuller all useful on a broad reach. It comes in on a beam reach.

msmith10 04-27-2012 09:07 PM

I don't think im confusing the two, just complicating my explanation. Basically I have the same system as you except that I clip the tack to the fore stay where it is free to slide up and down, adjusted by the tack line (or down haul). I'm wondering if I'd be better off just leaving the tack off the fore stay.

chris_gee 04-28-2012 12:59 AM

Yes that was the other possibility I thought of but rejected because you talked of hauling down. Your system adds fullness if it goes higher but does not add to the gap nor allow the possibility of the luff rotating to windward. It is simpler and works ok, not sure if better than simply fixing it at the bottom. Just saying it is better to be able to adjust the tack pendant length, That just requires a block.

SVAuspicious 04-28-2012 07:39 AM

Leave the tack off the forestay.

With good trim of the tack line you can get sail rotation to windward increasing projected area and thus boat speed. For the same reason the ATN tacker is a fundamentally bad idea. You give up sail trim and boat speed.

msmith10 04-28-2012 07:50 AM

Thanks, Auspicious. That's what I wanted to know. Besides potentially better sail shape, I think it will easier to handle the sail without the tack fixed to the headstay.