Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2012
ancient mariner

captbillc is on a distinguished road
Re: favourite marine battery

correction on the date . the batteries were installed in 2002.
Old 04-28-2012

jgeissinger is on a distinguished road

I know this has been mentioned here before, but it is probably worth repeating. There are only a few battery manufacturers in the U.S. Johnson Controls, for example, makes some Everstart (WM & Sams Club), Kirkland (Costco), AC Delco, Diehard, all Optimas, etc. etc. So as Mainesail said, anectodal tales about X being better than Y are even more meaningless given the odds that they are the same exact battery with a different label.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-28-2012

Sailormon6 will become famous soon enough

Well, to say that anecdotal evidence is practically useless might be overstating the point a bit. For most of us, we're satisfied to get 6 years of good service from a battery. We don't expect 10-12 years, and we're disappointed with 3-5 years. Most of us understand that even new batteries can be defective, so we take it with a grain of salt when someone gripes about a battery that failed within a year, but, when we hear repeated and similar complaints about the same brand of battery, we take it more seriously. Most of us don't have access to the equipment that Mainesailor has, so we rely on the best information available to us, and that is often anecdotal. For most of us, anecdotal evidence consists of what worked, or didn't work, for us.
arf145 likes this.
Old 04-28-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I don't think the anecdotal point is overstated at all. I think the vast majority of DIYers would just plug n play anything that fit. Unless you know the charging systems were a match and the batts were cared for as the specific type requires, a handful of stories do not infer anything. Just about anything will work at first. Charge them incorrectly and they will die prematurely.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 04-28-2012

NewportNewbie is on a distinguished road
favourite marine battery

Agreed. So the question is what was there before and why not just replace with the same type?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-28-2012

floridajaxsailor is on a distinguished road

Minnewaska, great post amigo

actually a friend who used to work for the harbour-master on Cape Cod found a mooring made out of old batteries all tied together and tossed to the bottom...
I guess the owner does not consider himself an environmentalist
-JD
Old 04-28-2012

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I don't think the anecdotal point is overstated at all. I think the vast majority of DIYers would just plug n play anything that fit. Unless you know the charging systems were a match and the batts were cared for as the specific type requires, a handful of stories do not infer anything. Just about anything will work at first. Charge them incorrectly and they will die prematurely.

I can't even count how many batteries I have tested over the years. Top quality brands like Rolls, mid quality Trojan, Crown, Deka, Superior & US Battery & lower tier like JCI batteries. I have seen the most expensive batteries made die in under two years, I have seen the cheapest batteries last 9+.

The one common denominator for long battery life I see is proper care, owner understanding of the charging system and often a battery monitor and owner who understands how to use it.

I often find very sweet systems, that SHOULD result in long life that don't. Not because they can't, but because they are installed or set up incorrectly. The act of buying an expensive system to feed and maintain batteries does not stop at the installation. The set up is often the most critical aspect.

There certainly are varying levels of quality amongst battery brands, but also price. Then there are re-branded batteries that are identical that sell for double the price of the same battery elsewhere such as the WM/Sam's Club scenario. Paying double for a battery with a different sticker does not translate into double the life.

I see inexpensive 6V batteries, at half the cost of a "premium" outlast the premium battery quite often. At half the price that is quite a value in Ah's to $$$.

For 12V batteries in wet there are two series I really like (other than Rolls).

The US Battery 12V's such as the US31DCXC

This is a great quality group 31 130Ah battery at a very reasonable price.

The Trojan SCS series is also excellent but I don't feel the price premium over the US Battery line is worth it. For me the price difference is over $65.00 per battery. That's not chump change and the cycle life would need to be drastically different which I just don't find to be the case. The Trojan SCS batteries are very similar to the US Battery 12V DCXC line up in terms of quality level.

As a very slight step down I like the entire Deka/East Penn line but their 12V batts pack less Ah's than the US DCXC or the Trojan SCS batteries..

WM, Sam's Club, NAPA and others sell these Deka/East Penn marine batteries. The 230Ah 6V Deka's I'd put up against the Trojan T105's or US 2200's any day of the week. Crown's are also excellent 6V batteries..

Lots or reasonable choices out there and that's just wets. There are also AGM, TPPL AGM, GEL and Li technology batts...

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 04-28-2012 at 04:58 PM.
Old 04-28-2012
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

I just removed 4 10-year-old Exide golf-cart batteries and replaced them with 4 Trojan golf-cart batteries. The Exides would no longer hold a charge. Price was $109 each, which was the lowest I could find anywhere. In the next day or so I will replace the starting battery, which also is used for the power windlass. Just a standard, deep-cycle type 27.

One of the things I've done over the years is check the batteries on a weekly basis. I keep the connections clean, they are always connected to a regulated solar charger, and as you can see I seem to get lots of life from them.

Almost forgot: My favorite mics are: Crown CM-311A, Samson Q7, Sennheiser E-855 -- in that order.

Cheers,

Gary

Last edited by travlineasy; 04-28-2012 at 05:39 PM.
Old 04-28-2012

captflood is on a distinguished road

GREETINGS EARTHLINGS ; The Bestesttested marine batery is FORT PERCH ROCK NEW BRIGHTION UK Check it out its great place off there on sunday for a vintage fair people dressed up in period costume I will there too, as one of Her Majesties Ship is in. H.M.S. Dragon (2week old ) type 45 destroyer will be leaving the port so the cannon will get fired (weather permitting ) as she passing Fort Perch Rock . Loads of history and plenty of happenings there all year round As part of the gun cew looking forward to sending her on her way
GO SAFE.
Old 04-28-2012

floridajaxsailor is on a distinguished road

Gary, great post, my type of musical cat!, though I am an Audix Mic fanatic

Thanks to the above poster for his elaborate battery shared experiences, quite helpful, upon research I am quite impressed w the: US Battery US 31 DCXC "Xtreme Capacity" battery is manufactured with a high concentration of synthetic tetrabasic lead sulfate (TTBLS) in the uniformed plate material crystal structure. This synthetic TTBLS crystal structure produces a strong active material in the formed plates to achive the long cycle life needed.