Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-28-2012

Robcooper0767 is on a distinguished road
Older Airmar Paddlewheel transducer compatibility

Hello all,
I have an Airmar paddlewheel thru hull transducer with an integrated Airmar Transducer Cable C2 - ending with a male RCA Plug.

White label spec tag on cable:
Airmar 01-0991
SIA15
SC6863/31-209-1-42
US Patent #4898029

An old paper tag on the transducer cable has the following:
31-209-1
SW03187
Rev 1

The paddlewheel itself works well, but the 4" round data device (assume it was a knotmeter) is no longer with the boat (1974 Pearson 30), just a blank opening covered by a teak block.
I am curious if anyone knows what Knotmeter/multi use device or devices would match this Airmar Transducer? I would like to get an "older" style knotmeter to keep the "vintage" look - and if I know which one(s) this transducer matches, I can start to look for them instead of buying a whole new (modern) unit and losing the vintage look.

Thanks for helping.
Robcooper0767
Pearson 30
Hull #644
As yet unnamed......
1974 Pearson 30, #644
Passeggiata - Pearson 30, #644
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-28-2012

itsaboat is on a distinguished road
Re: Older Airmar Paddlewheel transducer compatibility

Rob,

I have an '85 Pearson 27. I don't know if the transducers are the same, but I also have a cover where a PO patched the area where the 4" instruments used to be. I found a source for OEM-type of equipment that might fit the holes , but I bought new transducers and a Raymarine ST-40 Bidata to replace when I haul out again. Check the link for Moore electronics and see if they can help you. They were pretty helpful when I called. Good luck!
Old 04-29-2012
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robcooper0767 View Post
I am curious if anyone knows what Knotmeter/multi use device or devices would match this Airmar Transducer? I would like to get an "older" style knotmeter to keep the "vintage" look - and if I know which one(s) this transducer matches, I can start to look for them instead of buying a whole new (modern) unit and losing the vintage look.
A quick Google search seems to suggest that your paddlewheel is intended for connection to the old Standard Horizon SL-1 speed/log system. You might find one for sale on EBay if you're lucky.

If you're after a "vintage" hole-in-the-dash style unit, an alternative might be an old VDO Sumlog still in working order - but they were mechanical devices, not electrical like the unit you have.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by Classic30; 04-29-2012 at 09:56 PM.
Old 04-29-2012

Robcooper0767 is on a distinguished road

itsaboat and Hartley18,
Thanks to both for the info.....Hartley18 - you're a better "Googler" than I. Don't know how you came up with that, I was looking for just that kind of info and came up with zip. I'll search the planet for the SL-1, but now I'm wondering if I should just get a matching ST-40 speed/temp (or speed only) to match my Raymarine Depth and remount both on a nice piece of teak, one over the other......Both have 4" holes behind them. The PO put a white rectangular, thin block over the lower one for the ST-40 Depth, and a Round Teak "patch" over the 4" upper.
Don't want to replace the ST-40 Depth, it works fine, so leaving well enough alone. The idea of a tri-data is nice, but what do I do with a redundant depth.......just collects dust since I really can't sell it (and don't want to pull out the transducer and reglass>>> what a pain!
Thanks to you both. We'll see what happens. Nothing urgent has to be done.
R
Passeggiata - Pearson 30, #644
Old 04-30-2012

paul323 is on a distinguished road

FWIW, the Pearson 323 were equipped with (round) Data Marine Instruments; I wonder if the P30 was also? You could give DMI a call - DMI Marine, Inc.. They are experts in old DMI kit, and can rebuild/repair those instruments, in addition to selling their own range. Disclaimer: I am not associated with DMI, just a happy customer when they answered mu dumb questions and refurbished my depth gauge.
Old 04-30-2012

nickmerc is on a distinguished road

My '74 P30 has Datamarine instruments. They definitely look vintage. The transducer you mentioned sounds just like mine.
Old 04-30-2012
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robcooper0767 View Post
itsaboat and Hartley18,
Thanks to both for the info.....Hartley18 - you're a better "Googler" than I. Don't know how you came up with that, I was looking for just that kind of info and came up with zip. I'll search the planet for the SL-1, but now I'm wondering if I should just get a matching ST-40 speed/temp (or speed only) to match my Raymarine Depth and remount both on a nice piece of teak, one over the other......Both have 4" holes behind them. The PO put a white rectangular, thin block over the lower one for the ST-40 Depth, and a Round Teak "patch" over the 4" upper.
Don't want to replace the ST-40 Depth, it works fine, so leaving well enough alone. The idea of a tri-data is nice, but what do I do with a redundant depth.......just collects dust since I really can't sell it (and don't want to pull out the transducer and reglass>>> what a pain!
Thanks to you both. We'll see what happens. Nothing urgent has to be done.
R
Tiny hint: The info you posted indicates the transducer Model you have is an SIA15 - an old Standard Horizon part no.

Rob, I guess the best things about Raymarine are that (a) their gear is generally pretty good and (b) they are still around.

If you're after Speed, as I see it, you have two choices:
1. Buy an ST40 Speed, cut the holes and hook it in.
2. Repalce your existing ST40 Depth display with the Bidata. It's the same cut-out. Connect up both your old depth transducer and the new speed one to the Bidata. Sell the old ST40 Depth on EBay, with the brand new depth transducer out of the box..

Cost-wise, the Bidata option is going to hurt the wallet more initially - at least you wont have to drill any more holes ...but some people prefer the large-digit readout from two separate displays - each to their own.

The ST40 range also supports Seatalk so whichever way you go you can link the devices to something else inside (like a chartplotter) should you later wish to.
Old 05-01-2012

Lake Superior Sailor is on a distinguished road

The boats made of fiberglass so you can close the holes and start over and its easy!..Dale
Where God got it done!