Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By CalebD
  • 2 Post By PorFin

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2012

yossarian is on a distinguished road
Rudder shaft corrosion/repair

I pulled the rudder off my 1977 Oday 27 for the first time to facilitate a cutlass bearing replacement. I found some significant corrosion to the shaft.

What I found is some pretty bad corrosion on the aluminum rudder shaft where it meets the rudder blade. Unfortunately, I don't have the money to just buy a new rudder this season, nor do I have the time to rip this one open this season and replace the shaft. I can do that next winter, but no way right now. Rather, I'm looking at some kind of repair.

What I'm thinking is to take the thing to a machine shop and have them add some aluminum to the corroded area which I will then hand file into shape and also have them make me an aluminum rod the exact diameter as the inside of the shaft which I can drive into the shaft, making it something like a solid shaft.

My other option is to pretend I didn't see anything and hope it survives the season and I'll fix it next winter.

Any thoughts? Anyone ever make a repair like this? Or have a spare Oday rudder for cheap?

Specs are as follows: the shaft is 2" OD, after wire brushing the corroded area, at the thinnest point, the shaft is 1.88" in diameter, and the walls of the shaft are approximately .39".

Pics of the damage are here: Photo Album - Imgur
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-29-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Re: Rudder shaft corrosion/repair

While that corrosion is not a good thing to find I don't think it should ruin your sailing season.
It is a Catch 22 though. What are your repair options?
- New shaft and rudder (expensive)
- Have it repaired by a metal shop, or
- Repair it yourself with JB Weld or similar epoxy product
- Do nothing and go sailing.

I think I would clean out the corrosion with a wire wheel and apply JB Weld and sand the cured product down to fair and go sailing.
Having someone weld new material in there will make the metal so hot it will likely burn the fiberglass of the rudder - requiring more heroic efforts to repair that damage.
The temporary repair will give you time to hunt around for a replacement.
Good luck.
Welcome to Sailnut!
SloopJonB likes this.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-29-2012
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

I think that i agree with Caleb. Clean it up, patch it, and go sailing... Don't go too far though!

BTW do you grease your rudder bearing? That looks pretty awful...
Old 04-29-2012
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

Aluminum? O30 has FG tubes with grease fittings. no metal to metal bearings. Yours a tiller boat? Must need that bearing I guess

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-29-2012

yossarian is on a distinguished road

No bearings. Plastic (delrin?) bushings in a fiberglass tube. It is a tiller boat. The corrosion is at the waterline. The boat is pretty new to me (this will be my second season in it), and it lived it's last 35 years in saltwater.
Old 04-30-2012
Learning the HARD way...

My O'35 has a 3.5" Stainless Steel rudder post, that goes into the rudder tube, which has a grease fitting. I believe that the grease fitting goes into a sleeve bearing, and the rudder tube was glassed around it. There is also a delrin spacer where the post meets the rudder tube - looks just like yours.

What looks like rust in the pic, is actually grease, which cleaned up fine.

There was a little pitting of the tube, but nothing like your pic above.

Every month I am supposed to inject 2-3 pumps from my grease gun, and I will be more attentive to this in the future.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems

Getting back onto the water after undergoing knee surgery.
Old 04-30-2012
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

no delrin on mine guess that's why it's binding. (my other post)

my current "project"!
Old 04-30-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by yossarian View Post
I pulled the rudder off my 1977 Oday 27 for the first time to facilitate a cutlass bearing replacement. I found some significant corrosion to the shaft.

What I found is some pretty bad corrosion on the aluminum rudder shaft where it meets the rudder blade. Unfortunately, I don't have the money to just buy a new rudder this season, nor do I have the time to rip this one open this season and replace the shaft. I can do that next winter, but no way right now. Rather, I'm looking at some kind of repair.

What I'm thinking is to take the thing to a machine shop and have them add some aluminum to the corroded area which I will then hand file into shape and also have them make me an aluminum rod the exact diameter as the inside of the shaft which I can drive into the shaft, making it something like a solid shaft.

My other option is to pretend I didn't see anything and hope it survives the season and I'll fix it next winter.

Any thoughts? Anyone ever make a repair like this? Or have a spare Oday rudder for cheap?

Specs are as follows: the shaft is 2" OD, after wire brushing the corroded area, at the thinnest point, the shaft is 1.88" in diameter, and the walls of the shaft are approximately .39".

Pics of the damage are here: Photo Album - Imgur
You still have 0.66 total wall thickness in the thinnest area (which is all that matters - weakest link & all that). That should be good for another season. I wouldn't head over the horizon though.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 04-30-2012
Señor Member

PorFin is on a distinguished road

Caleb, was this an intentional literary pun? If so, Bravo Zulu to you, my friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebD View Post
It is a Catch 22 though.
xymotic and eherlihy like this.
Old 04-30-2012
Learning the HARD way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorFin View Post
Caleb, was this an intentional literary pun? If so, Bravo Zulu to you, my friend.
OMG! Yossarian - Catch 22!!