Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2012
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
2.25" ID thrust washers?

Had a problem today. The steering quadrant stop bolt was scraping the bottom of a plywood assembly (that is drooping) that has stops at far port and starboard when the rudder turns.

On my boat the 2.25" dia+- (rudder post runs from the top of the cockpit stern to the top of the quadrant, then under the quadrant it continues to the hull bottom. no packing box since it's well above the water line. Anyway. It seems the 1/8-1/4" space between the top and bottom tubes binds against the hub even with grease in place. Should there be some sort of washer between the hub and fiberglass tubes?

Wheel was so hard to turn I came back to the dock to see if there was a way to fix it. My friend Hank helped turning the wheel back and forth I crawled in.. with grease gun! It's loose again and feels "normal" when steering now, but I'm wondering about the need for "washers" someday, when the rudder is taken out again. Oh, used pvc pipe to hold the plywood up for now. Not drilling holes in the cockpit sole for that! We'll strap it up to a vertical part of the cockpit.
I know!

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-30-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: 2.25" ID thrust washers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
Had a problem today. The steering quadrant stop bolt was scraping the bottom of a plywood assembly (that is drooping) that has stops at far port and starboard when the rudder turns.

On my boat the 2.25" dia+- (rudder post runs from the top of the cockpit stern to the top of the quadrant, then under the quadrant it continues to the hull bottom. no packing box since it's well above the water line. Anyway. It seems the 1/8-1/4" space between the top and bottom tubes binds against the hub even with grease in place. Should there be some sort of washer between the hub and fiberglass tubes?

Wheel was so hard to turn I came back to the dock to see if there was a way to fix it. My friend Hank helped turning the wheel back and forth I crawled in.. with grease gun! It's loose again and feels "normal" when steering now, but I'm wondering about the need for "washers" someday, when the rudder is taken out again. Oh, used pvc pipe to hold the plywood up for now. Not drilling holes in the cockpit sole for that! We'll strap it up to a vertical part of the cockpit.
I know!
If you have enough vertical space, a washer/bearing of UHMWP between the quadrant and the lower tube would not go amiss. It would be easily made with a piece at least as big as the OD of your rudder tube and two hole saws - one the size of the OD of the tube and one the size of the shaft.

If you decide to drop your rudder to install one, read my post on Rudder Installation - your setup sounds exactly like mine and you'll possibly avoid a TON of grief.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 04-30-2012
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

SJB, It was out a few years ago, the hardest part was digging a hole in the ground under it. when I had more help then. we installed the PSS seal, and cutless bearing. Yesterday, while twisted like a pretzel in the bowels of my boat, I was marveling at how dry the bilge is under the the seal! Looking for large washers even on McMasterCarr was non productive.

my current "project"!
Old 04-30-2012

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

SloopJB is right about UHMWP. I had to have new bearings custom made for my boat. I had the parts turned for me at Maritime Plastics in Annapolis (Phone: 410.263.4424) but there are other places that can do this. If they don't have to be too precise, you may be able to make them yourself out of sheet goods, and you may be able to do two thinner layers and cut them in half and then half lap and bolt them so you don't need to haul the boat or drop the rudder. The plastic is cheap enough that you could try it for a season and if it didn't work go for the more expensive approach.

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies
Old 04-30-2012
Move over Joan Rivers!

thanks Jeff.. already thinking of it for this fall when the boat comes out. Yes it should be easy to make too.

my current "project"!
Old 04-30-2012
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

D-

Sorry to hear of your issue (learned of it in the rudder post thread).

My setup was like yours (plywood) a long time ago. It seems that the PO had an "issue" that he attended to with a .50" plate of solid aluminum, which he used to replace the plywood. The entire area under the cockpit floor is a solid aluminum plate, which was though bolted, and epoxied in place. It was one of the things that I liked about this boat!

I don't have a pic, because as you pointed out, you have to practice yoga to get in there, and the plate is only visible when looking up at the bottom of the cockpit...

However, the solution to the Delrin bearing is easy. Buy an inexpensive white UHWMPE cutting board that is the right thickness of the spacer. Use two hole saws to cut two concentric circles in it (use the same pilot hole). For my Oday 35, I used a 4", and then a 3Ĺ" hole saw. It is an EXACT replica!
deniseO30 likes this.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems

Getting back onto the water after undergoing knee surgery.

Last edited by eherlihy; 05-06-2012 at 07:30 PM.
Old 04-30-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
SJB, It was out a few years ago, the hardest part was digging a hole in the ground under it. when I had more help then. we installed the PSS seal, and cutless bearing. Yesterday, while twisted like a pretzel in the bowels of my boat, I was marveling at how dry the bilge is under the the seal! Looking for large washers even on McMasterCarr was non productive.
The yard I'm in is paved, so digging is not an option. I had them put me in the hoist last thing on Saturday and leave me there over the weekend - I had until Tuesday morning to get everything in and buttoned up. Cost a bit more than a shovel but worked well.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 04-30-2012
Learning the HARD way...

Quote:
I know!
Here is a pic;

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems

Getting back onto the water after undergoing knee surgery.
Old 04-30-2012
Move over Joan Rivers!

Need more pics of the deep dark areas of my boat! here's the slide show.
Love your boat E! MyOday30 :: Oday 30 slideshow by DeniseO30 - Photobucket

and when her bottom was bare.

my current "project"!
Old 05-06-2012
Learning the HARD way...

OK here are some relevant pics;

Delrin bushing on top of the rudder;

Note that I made another Delrin bushing that will ride on top of this one. I made it as noted in a previous post. There seems to be a little too much space between the top of the rudder, and the bottom of the rudder tube. That is the reason why there is bottom paint on the pictured bushing.

Rudder quadrant;

note that there is another delrin bushing under the quadrant. The rudder tube (the rudder post runs through this tube) is filled with grease, and there is a Xerxes grease fitting on the aft of the tube.

Here is another view of the quadrant;

Here you can see some grease that has escaped from the top of the tube, the last time that I filled it. The cockpit drain hoses are blocking the view of the Xerxes fitting.

Also, please excuse the mildew on the cockpit drain and manual bilge pump hoses. It was there before I bough the boat, and I am slowly tackling these issues...

Idler arms under the steering pedestal;

In this shot you are looking from under the starboard propane locker across the top of the fuel tank, and into the lazerette (where my shop vac hangs out - that black ribbed hose). You can also see the back of the Echo Charger that is mounted to that piece of marine plywood.

Everything steering related is either through bolted, or machine screwed into tapped holes in that aluminum plate, which was installed by the PO when he removed and replaced the plywood that O'day installed.

I hope this helps you D!

Last edited by eherlihy; 05-06-2012 at 07:46 PM.