Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-30-2012

nodders is on a distinguished road
leak from P bracket repair

I launched on Saturday and noticed a steady trickle of water inside the boat coming from the P bracket. I have a Sirius 28 and the P bracket is inserted into a slot in the hull and is then fixed in place with horizontal bolts. This is then epoxied/finerglassed into a nice little mound (about 6-8 inches in diameter) to cover the whole thing. I had my boat mechanic come last night and try some epoxy designed for use in wet places and he told me this morning that it was not gripping. His solution is to motor the boat to toronto to have it lifted out, let it dry and redo. I would like to avoid this if I could as masting is this coming weekend.

any ideas on alternative repair strategies????

any one try JB WaterWeld?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by nodders; 04-30-2012 at 02:25 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-30-2012

mm2187 is on a distinguished road
Re: leak from P bracket repair

Any Photos?
Old 04-30-2012
Superior Sailor

Squidd is on a distinguished road

That's what I was gonna say...."What the hell is a P bracket"...?
Old 04-30-2012

nodders is on a distinguished road

Sorry - P strut that holds the shaft. No pictures but on the inside you can picture a mound of fiberglass about 6-8 inches in diameter and 3 inched high in the centre. the water seems to be tickling from where the new fiberglass was supposed to bond to the inside of the hull.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-30-2012

rugosa is on a distinguished road

P-bracket is UK english for strut, cause it looks like a 'P' (kinda). CS used the same concept for 27, 33, 36. C&C moulded a recess in the hull for a bolt through strut, then filled the cavity with fairing material (lifted the 32 last fall and the filler had loosened allowing water in the cavity, but no leak through hull). If you can short haul and V out the fairing around the bracket and backfill with 5200?, you may get through the season and deal with the big picture at fall haulout.
Old 05-06-2012

mike27' is on a distinguished road

I have a Coranado with a slow leak coming in from where the rudder goes through the hull, (you cant see it streaming in just a trickle under the glass patch) is that the same thing? is there a way to fix it in the water?

Mike
Old 05-06-2012
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodders View Post
I launched on Saturday and noticed a steady trickle of water inside the boat coming from the P bracket. I have a Sirius 28 and the P bracket is inserted into a slot in the hull and is then fixed in place with horizontal bolts. This is then epoxied/finerglassed into a nice little mound (about 6-8 inches in diameter) to cover the whole thing. I had my boat mechanic come last night and try some epoxy designed for use in wet places and he told me this morning that it was not gripping. His solution is to motor the boat to toronto to have it lifted out, let it dry and redo. I would like to avoid this if I could as masting is this coming weekend.

any ideas on alternative repair strategies????

any one try JB WaterWeld?
Unfortunately, the design of the mount you describe is not uncommon but kind of dumb, its only merit (for the builder) being that it's inexpensive. The fix is not difficult but it can be a bit costly as it does require a haul out (I just went through this last Fall). Essentially, once the boat is out of the water, one cleans out the fill, putty or what have you around the outside base of the strut where it penetrates the hull. On the inside of the hull, one drills a series of holes in the "mound" around the stub of the strut. Hopefully there will not be any vertical movement in the strut but that's unlikely. One re-aligns the vertical extension of the strut by laying a straight edge along the prop shaft and lifting the strut until the shaft is straight and then supporting it in place. (This can be done by passing a loop of line around the shaft between the strut and the prop and then each end of the line up and over either side of the yacht and made fast to the winches on either side of the cockpit.) One then injects acetone or a similar high volatility material into the drilled mound to promote the evaporation of any water trapped there and, hopefully, wash out any debris. After doing the foregoing, I bought a ladies hair-dryer of the type that has a plastic bonnet that a woman would wear over her hair, from a GoodWill store for $5 and set it up so that I could tie the bonnet over the "mound". I set that on low heat and let it run for several days, blowing warmed air into and through the "mound" (it's working properly if you can feel warm air blowing out around the strut on the outside of the hull).

Once the foregoing is done, one uses a little modeling clay to build a tinkers dam around the base of the strut on the outside of the hull and injects thin epoxy into the holes drilled in the mound until each will accept no more. Leave that for a day our two to cure and then one can remove the tinkers dam and clean up area around the strut on the outside of the hull. In my case I used some thickened epoxy to make a fillet around the strut at the hull and, once that kicked off, laid some light woven glass around the hull/strut connection to ensure I had a water-tight seal.

The foregoing almost takes longer to describe than to do but it is a good repair that should last.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."