I feel your pain...
I am still in the middle of a lengthy process which has so far included; cutting the old bronze shaft out (with a hacksaw because the batteries in my cordless sawzall died at the time
) while hanging upside down like a bat in my engine compartment. All this fun so that I could replace the worn cutlass bearing.
Because it came out in pieces, I had the pleasure of lightening my wallet by buying a new prop shaft. As long as I was there, I replaced the old stuffing box with a PSS shaft seal.
Here are some of the new parts;
When trying to reassemble, I realized that I had to drop the rudder because the new shaft wouldn't clear the rudder. Dropping the rudder, I realized that it had about 2 gallons of black liquid (I hesitate to call it water) inside. I put the rudder in my garage on it's side for the winter, and let it dry out.
Later, I discovered that the wobble in the drive line was caused, at least partially, by a bad motor mount. This is a pic of one of the good ones. The one behind this had buggered threads.
Four new Vetus K75 motor mounts were placed on order, while I pondered how to remove the old ones.
Trying to gain access for the bolts that hold the motor mounts in place on my O'day 35 involved putting my arms in places in the boat that they just were not meant to go. That opening in the pic above is about 1¼". My hands are about 1½" thick... or were... I think that I lost a pint of blood, but that was more than made up for, by weight anyway, with the fiberglass splinters that I picked up.
Right now the cutlass bearing is in, the shaft, coupling and shaft seal are in, but the motor has yet to be aligned. And, I still have to re-install the rudder and the prop.