Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-08-2012

benajah is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel View Post
mitiempo, WDS123 replied to my PM and said:
Quote:
First - stop the water from entering the boat. You wrote that all your deck fittings are leaking. That is very serious and should be addressed before drilling any additional limber holes in the structure. The Santana is designed w/o a sump and with seperate compartments deliberately to provide (semi) water tight bulkheads. It also makes leak identification easier.
I know I need to fix the deck fittings. I'm doing it little by little. I think this boat has been stored outside for many years with the current deck fitting situation which is why I was able to afford it.

Now that the water is already there I seriously don't know how to get it out. Maybe I could tip the boat back on the trailer and get the hose from the shop vac under there and try to suck it out?

Is my Santana able to stay floating if any one of the three compartments is flooded? That would be neat. If so I guess I should avoid connecting the center compartment with the side compartments. Better yet, I could isolate the port and starboard compartments and then I would have 4 water tight compartments.
Sometimes the logic behind having these compartments sealed is to contain the water. My boat has everything under the cockpit sealed from the bilge and I have been debating whether to drill holes or not. The logic sometimes is to keep spilled fuel or other nastiness from the bilge/cabin... Or maybe that it's an area that if flooded the boat stays afloat better than it would with that fluid in the bilge. I don't know much about Santana's but it's different for every boat.
I have flooded my stern anchor locker due to an ill placed tarp funneling rain water right into a leaky hatch and the boat listed very noticeably over and sunk low in the stern. Would have things been better with that water in the bilge? I'm not sure my bilge is small and it might have overflowed the cabin sole.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-08-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Re: My boat has trapped water and no bilge

When I had my 22 footer, water got in when it was on the trailer but never when it was in the slip. I suppose because it flexes differently in the water as opposed to on land. When water got in I simply took a kayak pump and pumped out the water until it got too low for the pump to work. Then I sponged out the remaining water.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook

Tags
bilge , no bilge , trapped water , water