Thanks for the advice and the suggestions for making holes
There is a tiny hole at the end of that red platform but it's like 2 inches above the hull. So kind of pointless.
Some delamination? Yeah there are bits and pieces of wood here and there that haven't completely fallen off and rotted away yet. Actually much of the wood is still there but it's is mostly delaminated and ruined everywhere. That's why there is the plywood added on top. That was from the previous owner. I've only had this boat a year. The wiring is just a pile of disconnected wires running to where the switch box is. Nothing is left connected to power. I just hook the wires up to the battery when I need to turn some lights
How do you know the hatch
is leaking? I think the hatch
is the only thing that is good. Just about every deck fitting is leaking and the companionway door probably lets in water too. I fixed the forward deck fittings when installing the restored the V birth cushions but there are lots more to go. I think water has gotten in between the deck and whatever the bottom side of it is made of. I don't think it has a wood cored deck ... The good news is that the fiberglass is holding up well.
My my anti virus software prevented me from viewing a directory listing of pictures I would stop using it. They probably marked all of ignorelist.com as a site that has malicious content because there probably are some sites on there that do. Yeah this Santana is a fast boat. It has a Johnson 6 outboard on it and I can go quite fast and use like 1/2 or 1/4 of gallon gas in an hour.
The previous owner must not have managed water on the boat well at all. The bilge pump
is in the aft cockpit compartment which of course is not the lowest place on the boat. That wooden bulkhead had this like spray on foam stuff all around the bottom sealing it. Was the cockpit drain leaking and he sealed off the bulkhead and put in a bilge pump
to solve that problem? I fixed the leaking cockpit drain with silicone.
So yes some holes for drainage and then putting the bilge pump
in the proper location will help. If water gets in the side compartments I'll have to get it out with a sponge. If there gets to be 2 inches of water in the bilge then it'll probably make its way in to the side compartments. I guess this boat just wasn't made to deal with any water inside. That's why I wanted to remove the whole red platform so I could seal off those gaps that let water through in to the sides. The red thing is probably completely delaminated. It's hardly strong enough to stand on. Maybe I could just cut a big square out of the top of it, then cover it with plywood when I don't need to get under it. I just need to fix all the leaks and get a wet/dry shop vac for the boat. That would be nice to clean out all the shards of wood that have rotted and delaminated too.