Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2012

nodders is on a distinguished road
Stressful launch and it isn`t over yet!

I am totally pissed. $5,000 to repair the P Strut, shaft and cutlass bearing. It was done a few days before launch. I worked like crazy on the hull, raising the water line, painting a new boot stripe and cleaning and polishing. Went into the water on Saturday looking like a million bucks. Launch went fine except the water was pumping - solved that when I discovered the water pump belt was not on the pulley! Put it on and it went just fine. It was then that I noticed water trickling in from the fiberglass mound over the P strut repair. Not good. And now I am running down to the marina twice a day to pump out the bilge (don't have an electric one - just the old manual pump).

I called the mechanic who at first didn't believe me - but he finally showed up on Sunday and tried applying some water proof epoxy stuff that didn't work. The only solution he said was to haul it out and redo the repair. He made arrangements with a yard in Toronto (about 8 miles from here) to haul it out and asked me to take it over in the morning. I reluctantly agreed and cleared my work schedule for the morning. But tonight, I went down to double check things. Did the usual bilge pump thing, checked the rate of flow (which was a small trickle) and then thought I would start the engine and test it out in gear (a friend was on hand to watch for anything changing at the site of the repair). As soon as I put it in gear, he yelled at me to turn off the engine as the water increased from a trickle to a steady stream. Thankfully, the water flow decreased when I turn of the engine. I suspect the P Strut is still loose in there.

I phoned the mechanic and told him that there was no way in hell I was motoring to Toronto with the risk of a total failure midway. So now I am in a battle with the mechanic to get it towed over ASAP and fixed once and for all!

Oh how I envy every one else having a stress free launch!

Just venting....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-01-2012
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
Wow. I'd be livid too.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 05-01-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Stressful launch and it isn`t over yet!

Poor yard maintenance is just far too common. For what it's worth, I've never known a stress free launch. That's just the beginning of learning what went wrong over the winter. Some are just more or less stressful than others.

This year, I get to replace my wind transducer at $600 plus labor. Found my city water regulator was leaking, which i dont use but is integral to the pressurized fresh water system, and it just broke off when I tried to remove it. Two heads were leaking past seals. One AC unit wouldn't make heat. No idea why some of this stuff fails. Then I get to do what I planned.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 05-01-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd View Post
Wow. I'd be livid too.
Amen to that!

I don't even know what a "P" strut is, but I do know what a strut is. I don't have a strut on my shaft so they scare the crap out of me.

I'd be doubly careful of the Laws of Unintended Consequences here. Even if a 'mechanic' can seal up the leak in the area where the strut is you might need to re-align your engine if the strut has been moved from it's original position, which if left alone can cause other problems down the road.

That sounds like a hefty sum of money for that repair having re-done my own cutless bearing, shaft log hose with a new shaft etc. It was not glamorous work by any means but I am so glad I was able to do it myself rather then pay someone. We spent well under $1K for materials + our free labor.

Given your experience with mechanic "A" I'd be thinking about trying to get some of my money back and finding mechanic "B" who knows something about aligning sailboat engines.

Sorry to hear of your problems.

Everybody has one:

Old 05-01-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Five grand??!!??

Old 05-01-2012
Irrationally Exuberant

arf145 is on a distinguished road

nodders, I feel your pain. I sunk a bunch a money (though only $2K) on a botched new shaft and related work a couple of years ago. I still get pissed thinking about it. Still, my boat wasn't threatened by the bad work as yours is--that is truly nasty. I think I'd want my boat safely back on the hard straight away if I were you.

In my case I finally decided that the original shop wasn't capable of fixing no matter how many chances they had. I hope your guy can make it right.

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy ~ Steven Wright
Old 05-02-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd View Post
Wow. I'd be livid too.
Amen indeed... this is some seriously botched job by a 'professional'.

Hope he makes good on it for you.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 05-02-2012

nodders is on a distinguished road

So far so good. He phoned last night after I posted and admitted that he screwed up. I suspect he was in a major hurry given launch dates around here etc. At first he thought I could wait to get masted and sail it over to which I objected. I told him I wanted it towed and fixed right before masting this weekend.

He then phoned back to tell me he had lined up a tow and would take it to Toronto and get it hauled out today. I went down to the boat this morning and a tow boat was there as was himslef armed with a pump and battery pack. he has hired a professional to tear out his work and do it right.

I am keeping my fingers crossed!
ppiccolo1 likes this.

Old 05-02-2012
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

That's a great relief to hear. It helps your "relationship building" if you tell him that you appreciate his honesty, and willingness to do the right thing.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 05-02-2012

aeaston is on a distinguished road

Wow, that is crazy! I'm pretty nervous anticipating my launch in a couple of months. Engine is presently sitting in the salon as my fiancee and I work to replace the bunks, mounts, stuffingbox, everything. Boat also hasn't been afloat for 25 years, and we've spent a year restoring it. I can imagine how upsetting it would be to have your boat launched, only to discover a leak like that. Especially after it'd just been fixed.

Good luck with the tow and repair!

-Adrian