Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-01-2012

rhsanborn is on a distinguished road
Spring Maintenance

It's spring in Michigan and time for maintenance. I have a pretty big list this year and had some questions.

The PO directly attached the instrument cluster power leads and the radio to the batteries by wrapping the stripped wires around the terminals. I wanted to clean this up with a terminal block or something. The batteries are in the cockpit locker. Is a small bus bar for each leg acceptable? I was just going to install one for pos and one for negative on the wall directly above the batteries.

I've also found Maine Sail's recommendations on replacing cutlass bearings, I'll need to find out my diameter later, I was wonder if someone had recommendations for removing the shaft coupler so I can get this all out. I'll also be repacking the stuffing box. I have no idea when that was last done.

I also have no info on transmission oil change from the PO, so that should be an adventure.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

- Randall
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-01-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Spring Maintenance

I suspect there is some sort of ABYC code for protecting the bus bars from being exposed and shorted.

Just draw the trans fluid out through the dip stick or fill hole with a pump and replace. Couldn't be easier.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 05-02-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

Engine oil and tranny fluid should be a breeze.

Removing the coupler from the output flange from the engine was easy for us.
Removing the coupler from the shaft, not so much.
I'd go and buy a steering wheel puller from a NAPA or similar autoparts place. You will need some longer bolts that match your coupler bolts if whatever comes with the shaft puller doesn't.
"V" drive or direct drive or geared drive on your M 30' OI?
G'luck.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-02-2012

I don't think it's a V drive, but I'm not familiar with the other two types.
Old 05-02-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

Randall,
A direct drive engine is probably the most common set up with most smaller boats. This is where the output shaft of the engine faces the stern and connects directly to the shaft.

A geared or reduction drive (typically 2:1) is more common on bigger, heavier boats so they can swing a larger prop behind the boat.

With a "V" drive set up the engine output shaft faces forward and connects to the "V" drive gearbox which then spins a shaft that runs back toward the transom. With this set up parts of the drive train can be 'buried' underneath the engine making it difficult to work on the stuffing box etc without moving the engine. I asked because I was on a 36' Morgan that had the "V" drive set up.

Hopefully you have a direct drive set up as it is fairly straight forward to work on, depending on the boat.

Everybody has one:

Old 05-02-2012

jsaronson is on a distinguished road

78 Morgan will have a straight shaft, so the instructions above will work.
Old 05-03-2012

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road

No DC panel? Normally the instruments will be powered off the panel and the circuit protected by a circuit breaker. Running them off the battery directly without protection is dangerous. At least you need a fuse in the circuit.
Old 05-03-2012

Yes, it's a straight drive then.

There is a DC panel, and the instruments are switched, but the PO didn't do it quite right. I think he ran a leg directly from the battery to a switch on the panel ... I guess I need to pull the panel off and see what's in there. The instrument wires all need to be replaced at the very least anyway. There are splices all over, and they aren't run cleanly, which means it's pretty hit or miss if they work at all.
Old 05-03-2012

Here's hoping my poor man's prop puller works I have an old C clamp with the end split into a Y. I think it's pretty much the same thing ... I need to get it all apart this weekend so I can get an idea of all the parts I need to order and what sizes. I'll also check the condition of the stuffing box. Hopefully it just needs to be repacked.
Old 05-03-2012
1977 CS27 ~ Ravat

cghubbell is on a distinguished road

If you have a few electronic items to put in, and need an easy way to add more than you have switches for I'm a really big fan of the Blue Seas Fuse Blocks. Unless you're doing something crazy, you can usually feed it with a 10AWG wire, and run 14AWG to the branches. Of course, you want to check amperage and be safe, but that was well within specs for what I needed.

I ran a feed from the main house bank bus to the panel breaker labeled "Electronics", and then on to the blue sea block. This feeds my radio, VHF, and whatever gizmos I add in the future have an easy place to integrate.

Great way to clean up raw battery post wraps and make them safe.
CS27 #1254 ~ Ravat
PYC, Lake Ontario

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.