SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Replacing V berth foam material (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/86924-replacing-v-berth-foam-material.html)

MarkSF 05-01-2012 10:26 PM

Replacing V berth foam material

I've just replaced the foam in my V berth with this stuff :

The Foam Factory, Mattresses, Conventional Foam

I used the Lux High Quality 2.8lb/sq.ft, 50 lb foam. What I did was buy a king size mattress, which is just enough to do the whole berth and the filler, with some strange shaped bits left over!

At $164 incl. shipping for a 4" king size I made quite a saving over what my local foam supplier would have charged (and did charge, for the salon cushions)

I had read previous threads on buying a Walmart mattress and cutting that up but wasn't impressed by the quality of foam they use.

This seems to be the top quality, high density stuff.

Cut it up with an electric carving knife, $20 from Amazon.

jsaronson 05-01-2012 11:03 PM

Thanks for the tip!

liveincolor 05-02-2012 12:59 AM

Re: Replacing V berth foam material

I'm just in the process of doing exactly this ! About a year ago I was browsing the forums and a thread about upgrades and revisions everyone made to their boat. Lots of great ideas, but the one that really stoked me was a guy who replaced his V berth cushions with memory foam, and recut it so that the seams ran perpendicular to a sleeping body. I knew I had to emulate because falling between the cracks of the oddly shaped cushions while sleeping was so annoying. Plus I was excited to replace my old and worn cushions with some denser, more supportive foam. I found a 4" mattress topper on craigslist for $25 that was still in the shrink wrap, and purchased some weather resistant canvas from the fabric store...already finished sewing 2 of the 3 cushion covers and I can't believe how good they came out. Simple and fun upholstery project to seriously improve quality of life aboard.

MarkSF 05-02-2012 02:23 AM

I also thought that, being tall and, erm, not light, it is better to have a firm, quality, base to the mattress and then I can always soften it up with a 1 or 2" memory foam topper.

olson34 05-02-2012 10:54 AM

Way to go Mark! Good find.
:cool:
We had 2.6 density foam put into all of our cushions in '95. They still sit and sleep without "bottoming out".
( Doncha just hate it when the boat you are delivery-crewing on has old flat cushions for your two hour off watch attempt-at-sleep? :( )

Our replacement ones were noticeably a bit heavier than the factory stock stuff we threw out.

The prior owner inadvertantly did us a favor by letting mold and mildew grow throughout most of the foam........ ick. Much laundering of covers was involved and we did save them.

LB

MarkSF 05-02-2012 12:39 PM

I tried sleeping on it last night. The 50lb foam is ideal for me but I think people of average weight would be better off with the 35lb foam.

LandLocked66c 05-02-2012 12:48 PM

Brilliant!

dongreerps 05-02-2012 02:44 PM

One technical note: Make sure to use closed cell foam, not the open cell type.

MarkSF 05-02-2012 02:52 PM

Whys that? All the old foam is open cell, and so is the new stuff I bought. Won't sleeping on closed cell foam be rather uncomfortable?

Sabreman 05-02-2012 04:08 PM

I'm finishing the main salon now. I used 4" high density foam ($24.95/yd @ JoAnn Fabrics) glued to 1" (5" total) for the settees, 4" for backrests, and 1" for other panels. I'm covering everything with Sunbrella upholstery fabric ($24/yd). We did this job for the quarter berth and V berth 3 years ago and it's holding up nicely.

I backed the cushions with pet screening to let the cushion breathe. Saw this on a "professional" job and really liked it.

I'll post photos in a day or so.