Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By Melrna

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2012
Crazy Woman Boat Driver

Melrna will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Melrna Send a message via Yahoo to Melrna
Force 10 Oven

Like a lot of us boat owners we have a Force 10 oven where some or all the ignitors do not work. After a very nice conversation with the tech rep at Force 10 I learned how to fix them.
1. I did not know that a AA battery was the source for ignition. It lives in the bottom of the oven, right side under the oven door. Replace it
2. The most common problem is the spring under the knobs gets compressed down. This was one of my problems. Here is how to get to it. So easy a caveman can do it and me!!
a. Take off the 3 screws on the top front of the stove to pull the panel off. Pull the knobs off than pull the front panel off.
b. Gently pull off the retainer clip with a small Flathead screwdriver being careful not to loose it.
c. The spring under the retainer clip is the one I am talking about. Take it out and gently pull the spring to extend it out. I used two very small needle nose pliers. Do this for each burner.
d. Put the spring back on and test the ignition by pressing in. If still no spark than on to step two.

Step 2. The ignition harness.
You can save yourself $40 dollars here by taking it apart. I didn't disconnect it from the wires to work on it outside the stove but advise you do. I can be done if one is very careful.
a. After completing all the above in disassemble down to taking off the spring, remove the wiring harness/ ignition box so you can work on it. There is a small washer here under the spring. Don't loose it.
b. The ignition box is held together with 4 small clips on the side. A good finger nail is all that is need to take it apart. "Warning " There are 3 very very small springs inside that will come out. Don't loose these. Note the position of each spring. One is different.
c. Inside the ignition box is 3 very small springs and small copper tab. The copper tab is what you press to make the connection to the positive and negative wires. There are two wing tabs (+-) that I re-bent to make positive contact with their respective wires. I believe this is the cause of most problems. Easy fix.
d. Reassemble and have a nice cup of coffee. Total job 30 mins.
Faster, boatpoker and jackdale like this.
Catalina 445, Hull #90

Last edited by Melrna; 05-02-2012 at 10:46 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-02-2012
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Re: Force 10 Oven

Damn! I need to make a trip down the coast for you to fix Mine! congrats on the fix! I'm kind of planning on replacing the battery powered for a Piezo type like you see on gas grills. (someday) 40 some yeas in hvac I should be able to make it work right?

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-02-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Also worth noting that if a particular burner's ignitor feature doesn't seem to work, pressing any other burner knob will... all the sparkers fire together regardless of whether the burner is actually being turned on. It's a common 'spark all' arrangement.

We have a 'most often used burner' whose button press doesn't always spark, but the oven and the others reliably do so.

Nice post, Melissa!

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 05-02-2012
ancient mariner

captbillc is on a distinguished road

Melrna - a very good how to explanation. if i ever have that trouble with my force 10 i'll know what to do. i have replaced the battery one time.
Old 05-02-2012

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough

My Force 10 is about 13 years old. It was in storage for a few years and when I installed it on my current boat the igniter was not working due to corrosion of the battery holder. On my stove it is exposed inside the right panel at the lowest part at the front, just below where the oven door slides under when open. I went to an electronics store and bought a new battery holder for $2 and installed it in a few minutes. It has worked fine for the 2+ years since.
I have a separate igniter button that is not tied to an individual burner and it fires all igniters together.
Old 05-02-2012

boatpoker is on a distinguished road

Thanks heaps ! I've been having trouble with mine and you have just saved me from reinventing the wheel.
Old 05-02-2012
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

Melrna maybe you could post the contact # and person? thanks great job!

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.