Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2012
Crealock 37

sailak is on a distinguished road
Overboard discharge design

My boat currently is configured so that all waste goes into the holding tank. The holding tank can either be pumped overboard or emptied at a waste station.

I would like to modify the system to allow direct overboard discharge. Looking at my system it appears fairly simple, the addition of a y-valve to split between direct overboard or holding and an addition hose from the y-valve to the thru-hull.

My question is regarding the thru-hull. As it is there is a capped tee just above the thru-hull valve. I'm planning to put the new hose to there the cap on the tee is. This would have the direct discharge hose entering the pump output hose at a 90 degree angle just above the thru-hull valve. Do you anticipate any problems with possible clogging at that 90 degree turn?

Thanks

S/V Elnora
Pacific Seacraft "Crealock" 37 #312

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-02-2012
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough
Re: Overboard discharge design

Of course you realize that you cannot legally discharge the contents of your holding tank while within U.S. waters. Depending upon where you are located at the time, fines for illegal discharges can range to more than $10,000.

Gary
Old 05-02-2012

RhodesSwiftsure is on a distinguished road

Why bother? If you can already pump out or manually empty the holding tank, then you have maximum flexibility with a minimum of valves, T's, etc.

- LP
Old 05-03-2012
"Fairhaven" Formosa 41

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

If you flush toilet paper through the head and the 90 is a fairly tight 90 then yes it will clog. Without TP I doubt it will clog.

Anther note about TP: nobody is ever going to be able to catch you pumping over the side if you don't use TP. They'd have to see the "brown trout" coming out of the through hull. Never going to happen. The Coast Guard just doesn't have the manpower to have a diver under each boat staring at their through hulls.

What they can get you for is not having your newly installed "Y" valve properly secured. Either it needs to be padlocked in the "no discharge" direction (ie into the tank) or the handle needs to be removed. Some makers of Y-valves have nice removable handles that are easily and instantly re-installed when needed. Mine hung on a chain next to the y-valve and could be turned for a flush and returned afterwards to the legal position. That way urine could go overboard and solids could go into the tank and the tank would last much longer between emptying.

Of course I never did this is US waters. No that would be illegal. Also you may think I have tried marajuana but really I never exhaled.

MedSailor
Old 05-03-2012
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road

You can't pump untreated waste inside of 3 miles from shore (6 miles from shore in some areas, and in certain embayments). It's usually fine to pump out between 3 and 12 miles from shore. The "12-mile limit" is the extent of "US waters". The "3-mile limit" is the extent of "State waters".
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
Old 05-03-2012
"Fairhaven" Formosa 41

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowButSteady View Post
You can't pump untreated waste inside of 3 miles from shore (6 miles from shore in some areas, and in certain embayments). It's usually fine to pump out between 3 and 12 miles from shore. The "12-mile limit" is the extent of "US waters". The "3-mile limit" is the extent of "State waters".
Ahh but you CAN. It's just not legal. Oddly it is legal in Canada which is generally considered much more environmentally strict than the USA. I Personally wouldn't do it near commercial shellfish beds though or in harbors with low flow/flush.

MedSailor
Old 05-03-2012
Crealock 37

sailak is on a distinguished road

Thanks Medsailor for the on topic answer. For you guys spouting the regulations...I'm aware of them which is why my question wasn't about the regs.

Rhodeswiftsure -- the holding tank is small. I'm planning some extended cruising within a couple of years and using a holding tank will not be practical.

S/V Elnora
Pacific Seacraft "Crealock" 37 #312

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-03-2012

wise4 is on a distinguished road

3 miles off shore is fine for untreated waste in most US areas.... Works just fine for us, as at 3 miles, we're still heading offshore... We typically day sail in the 10 to 15 miles off shore range.... Too much traffic and unsettle water closer in...

It's funny how many people think discharging overboard is illegal...
Old 05-03-2012

LinekinBayCD is on a distinguished road

There are tons of laws that are crazy and tons others that are not enforced. I try to use my own law of common sense. There is a big difference between being in the middle of ego alley in Annapolis and pumping overboard and doing the same thing anchored off a remote island in Penobscott Bay Maine where ten feet of water gets flushed out twice a day. The law might be the same but what I would do (and do do, pun intended) is totally different.

I was boarded last spring right after the season launch south of Rockland by the Coast Guard in the midle of nowhere. They could not have cared less about how the head was set (it was set to pump overboard). They were more interested in the life vests and fire fighting equipment.
MedSailor likes this.
Old 05-03-2012

tommays will become famous soon enough

Northport / Hungition 10000 +++++ boats VS two Mobil and one fixed pumpout station

Now I don't do much business onboard and am down on the boat enough to catch the Mobil boat BUT does anybody really believe nothing is getting dumped

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat