Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-03-2012

Iamrandywhite is on a distinguished road
Roller furling challenge

My challenge:
Boat: o'Day 27
Harken roller furling
When viewed looking down at the deck, I can turn the whole system easily by hand counter clockwise. However, I cannot turn it as easily clockwise. It seems to bind momentarily. What can I do?
Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-03-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Roller furling challenge

I assume your rigging isn't the issue, you should notice that. You may need to disassemble the bearings, clean them out (mineral spirits works well) and lightly grease them. What furler do you have?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 05-03-2012

Iamrandywhite is on a distinguished road

I have a harken. I forgot to mention that this issue is without the jib attached. I did have a similar problem last year. How can I tell when I have the aft stay too taught? I don't want to makea small problem bigger byovertightening.
Old 05-03-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamrandywhite View Post
I have a harken. I forgot to mention that this issue is without the jib attached. I did have a similar problem last year. How can I tell when I have the aft stay too taught? I don't want to makea small problem bigger byovertightening.
That's a little complicated. However, you can mark where it is now with tape on the turnbuckle, loosen it and see if it fixes your problem. If so, you might want a good rigger to tune you up. If not and you've been happy with sail performance, put it back where you found it and you're back to cleaning the bearings, check for corrosion, etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 05-03-2012

RichH will become famous soon enough

Several things can cause such binding:

1. Jib halyard too tight ... causes overloading and binding of the swivel bearings. Use a sail track lube on the groove of the foil so you dont need 'gorilla force' to raise the sail in its foil groove.

2. If the 'lead angle' of halyard—to—top swivel is less than the 'furlers specified halyard LEAD angle', the halyard will 'toggle' around the swivel and will cause such 'binding'. This 'toggling effect' is enhanced if the luff of the jib is MUCH shorter than the foil length; if so, a 'pendant' must be added to (usually) the head of the jib to make the connection to the top swivel .... so that the top swivel is 'almost' at the VERY TOP of the foil. If a pendant doesnt solve the toggling problem then a 'diverter block' should be added to the top of the mast to 'increase' the halyard—to—swivel angle.

If there is a 'large open space' on the furler foil between the top/head of the sail and the very top of the foil (jib too 'short' for the foil) this is lead angle problem is a possible likely cause of a binding furler. A 'pendent' added to get the 'top swivel' to near the top of the foil is the 99% correction.

3. shot or dirty furler swivel roller balls .... they dont last forever.

Last edited by RichH; 05-03-2012 at 11:13 AM.
Old 05-03-2012

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about

It is possible that you've had halyard wrap sometime in the past and your headstay is damaged at the top. The wire might be birdcaged or have broken strands.
You should really go to the top and inspect the upper end of the wire at the terminal before proceeding.