Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2012
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Re: Help...Relocating stands

You are asking questions about a process that could hurt you or others if you screw it up.
Having done this myself, once, my advice is to pay the yard to re-block the boat when you are ready...that will also allow you to get under the keel where the current blocks are...
Old 05-03-2012
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road

Adding another set of stands is the best plan of attack.

If another set is not available:

Before moving a stand, first loosen the chain connecting the two stand by just enough links to move it, then re-attach the chain BEFORE sliding the stand over.

Never move more than one stand at a time, alternating sides.

This will STOP the boat from FALLING.

AGAIN, do not move a stand if the chain is NOT ATTACHED.

**Darwin award nominees for the spring of 2012 please disregard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-03-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I've been aboard boats on the hard that had improperly placed or perhaps too few stands where doors wouldn't open they were so twisted. Of course, the majority of the weight is on the keel, but depending on the boat, stand placement matters.

Like I said, you could be fine for a short period of time with little stress.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 05-03-2012

patrscoe is on a distinguished road

Long and short of it, we sold our previous sailboat and purchased this one late last fall and was unable to sail her to our marina so I put her on the hard there and decided to get the bottom completed and other misc work since our sail would be about 100 miles. The yard is small and I am finding out quickly, very limited. They were going to complete the bottom work but after months of no work being performed, I decided to take it on myself. I ask for other services (minor work), he agrees but nothing gets done so I can't really rely on them for much of anything. Unfortunate because I am really busy with work and family activities. Just want to get this work done, splash and move on to our marina.

S2 11.0A 36'
Kinsale, Va
Tanzer 16'
Moseley, Va
Old 05-03-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrscoe View Post
....I ask for other services (minor work), he agrees but nothing gets done so I can't really rely on them for much of anything......
Whether competent or not, this has been my experience in 100% of the marinas I've ever dealt with. I realize they are in a somewhat weather dependent business and that messes with scheduling. However, simply forgetting or insisting on using a single vendor that is overbooked or always greasing the squeaky wheels is usually the problem.

I drop my yard manager (who I actually like quite a bit) an email every couple of days to follow up on what was committed by then. The pattern is 100% tested...... if I hear back from him immediately, they did the work. If I don't, they haven't. I sent a note yesterday morning that has gone unaddressed since. Work was scheduled for Tuesday, so I sent a note on Wed. Not looking good.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 05-03-2012
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road

Maybe if they don't have the right people, the yard would be willing to let you hire outside help? Maybe even experienced SN'ers from the area?
Old 05-03-2012

patrscoe is on a distinguished road

Kind of what I did. I hired a person I know that is currently out of work and has good knowledge of construction and sailboats. He is doing all the fun work like sanding and sanding and sanding....
Yes, that is what the Boat Yard owner kept on saying, weather is delaying the start of the work for the last three months but I don't necessarily agree with him. Anyways, I felt like I am bashing them online and I don't want to do that, not really fair and respectable. Perhaps he sees me as a out-of-towner and knows I will be gone soon.

Thanks for all your help!

S2 11.0A 36'
Kinsale, Va
Tanzer 16'
Moseley, Va
Old 05-03-2012

tommays will become famous soon enough

Around here 7 is the normal amount for 30' boat

The 7th bow stand is how the movers get under the boat to pick it up and while it use to make me pretty nervous IF the keel is well blocked the stands are just balancing the boat and there should be no significant load on any single stand

Go at it slow and if the boat is et up right you should be able to lower one stand at a time without and movement IF this is NOT the case STOP

I ALWAYS leave the chains between a set of stands when i am moving them just in case and never move the stand more than a tiny bit away from the hull

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.