SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Help...Relocating stands (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/86971-help-relocating-stands.html)

patrscoe 05-03-2012 08:26 AM

Help...Relocating stands

I know this is a dumb question but does anyone know the proper way of relocating sailboat stands?
I have one at the bow, one at the stern, two at port and two at starboard - thus a total of 6 stands on stone base. In order to complete some bottom work, I need to relocate the stands. Boat yard is not much help to say the least.
I have done this before but on a much smaller sailboat...

JimsCAL 05-03-2012 08:39 AM

Re: Help...Relocating stands

Sounds like you can move either the one at the bow or stern, or the pair at the same end, but not both at the same time. I usually just back them off to get underneath to lightly sand and paint, then screw back up until not quite touching. At the end of the day I'll tighten them up and then do the others the same way another day. Saves moving stands which most boat yards really don't like.

alturia 05-03-2012 09:24 AM

Move one stand at a time. That is loosen one of the stands and move it to one side or the other then retighten. Then move the next one and retighten and so on. To make sure that the stands don't stick to new paint you can insert wax paper between the bottom and the stand.

Minnewaska 05-03-2012 09:27 AM

Are you doing more than a quick sand and paint? If not, hit the spots when in the slings, dry with hair dryer, if necessary. Splash. If you need a bit more time, ask if they can put you in the slings at the end of the day and let dry overnight before splashing the next morning. If they have a day off over the weekend, some yards will let you hang the entire down day.

Squidd 05-03-2012 09:32 AM

If the stands are chained together at the bases, because of taper of the hull, you can not move them "one at a time" without the other slipping out of place...

Better to get an extra pair of stands, set and tighten in place before removing others...

Then you can use that pair to replace the next set etc...

Faster 05-03-2012 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squidd (Post 866658)
If the stands are chained together at the bases, because of taper of the hull, you can not move them "one at a time" without the other slipping out of place...

Better to get an extra pair of stands, set and tighten in place before removing others...

Then you can use that pair to replace the next set etc...

... what he said... safest way.

patrscoe 05-03-2012 11:55 AM

Yes, the port stand is chained to the starboard stand.
Just a little nervous moving them, how much pressure I should put on them when relocated, etc...
I have started applying a barrier application and then I need two coats of bottom paint so putting her in the sling for a day or two will not work. My thought is to complete the barrier coats, then relocate all the stands, and then sand & barrier coat in those spots. Finally apply the bottom paint, put her in the sling and then hit the areas where the stands were located...

So if get one additional set of stands, set them up right next to the current ones, relocate the chained stands and then remove the temp stands, and then move on to the other set... is that a safe plan?

Minnewaska 05-03-2012 12:02 PM

Stands typically want to be under a bulkhead or rib or something more structural. Directly next to the current ones may not be right, although, for a short period of time with little stress, you could be fine. There just may be a better spot a few more feet down. Is there anyone in the yard that could help point that out for you? Who put it up on the stands?

Squidd 05-03-2012 12:19 PM

I disagree.. Most of the weight is sitting on the keel blocked to the ground.. stands are more for balancing the boat and usually placed so they don't interfere with the "strapping" rather than bulkhead considerations.. ...for the short time you switch back and forth they should not cause any "depressions" in the hull...

Faster 05-03-2012 12:23 PM

Odd... many yards don't allow you to move your own stands. In the last yard we used moving the stands to paint patches was part of the service.

Strange that your yard isn't interested in this getting done safely...