SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Where to get Butyl tape? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/86984-where-get-butyl-tape.html)

Paladin27 05-03-2012 03:15 PM

Where to get Butyl tape?

I've read several threads on here about using butyl tape to bed deck hardware, but I've called all the local marine stores in my area and they've never even heard of the stuff. Who sells butyl tape?

rhsanborn 05-03-2012 03:35 PM

Re: Where to get Butyl tape?

This looks promising: 3/4" x 30' Gray Butyl Tape: Mobile Home Parts Store

I've never used it before though. Maine Sail also has it listed on his site:

Need Butyl Tape ?? Photo Gallery by Compass Marine at pbase.com

Paladin27 05-03-2012 03:36 PM

I was hoping somebody would suggest a local retailer. I wanted to go work on the boat after work. ;-)

rhsanborn 05-03-2012 03:39 PM

RV supplier, possibly? Others have recommended auto parts or auto glass installers. I think they use the black stuff though.

Paladin27 05-03-2012 03:42 PM

RV supplier sounds like a good start. I'll see if any of them carry it. I tried a couple auto glass places, nobody had any in white.

cb32863 05-03-2012 03:57 PM

From all the times that people have asked about this, Maine Sail has said that you need to be careful with the RV stuff as it is more of a putty than a tape like he sells. As for color, not sure if that really matters as you trim it off anyway..

EDIT: Not sure where Maine gets his.

Barquito 05-03-2012 04:08 PM

Quote:

As for color, not sure if that really matters as you trim it off anyway..
The stuff I got was grey. I would be nervous if it was black, however.

rmeador 05-03-2012 04:25 PM

I bought some through Amazon.com, and I also bought some from a local plastics supplier that also sold me the new plexiglass for one of my hatches. Both are grey. I've never seen any other color.

Tim R. 05-03-2012 04:55 PM

Do yourself a favor and wait to get the proper butyl tape that MaineSail sells. It is far superior to what you may find locally as that may not even be real butyl.

rugosa 05-03-2012 06:42 PM

Who makes Butyl? I know but you'll never drag it out of me. RV, auto, marine, glazing, etc. will likely source from the same or competing manufacturers. But here lies the dilema for boaters - different applications require different formulas to suit the application, kinda like the lineup at Starbucks:D What quality boat builders and guys like Mainsail (I presume) have done is invest the test time, run their own tests (check out his photos), taken feedback from staff that use the stuff, and boiled down the properties required - thus developing the right version for their applications. A role or two of the RIGHT stuff goes a very long way when it comes to boat maintenance. So rather than spend tons of time, trial and error, why not just buy it from a reliable source - like Mainsail (FULL DISCLOSURE - I do not know, have never met and am not paid by Mainsail, and this is not intended as a shameless promotion), get the job done, share some of this wonderful material with your boating friends - AND GO FOR A GREAT SAIL:cool: