Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-04-2012

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
Stainless Steel Bolts

Many stainless steel bolts I see (316 or 308) have the letters "THE" on the hex head. Is this the manufacturer's name or does it have another meaning. I have done internet search and find nothing about "THE".

Also, do 316 stainless bolts have different grades like the carbon steel bolts, or is there just one grade?

Regards
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-04-2012

tommays will become famous soon enough
Re: Stainless Steel Bolts

I believe THE is a brand of some type as even here on the east cost of the USA MOST of the stuff I buy has this on the head

316 is 316 and it might make it to a grade 3 BUT as its 316 nothing can really be added to change its strength

SS is kind of funny stuff as while it tough as hell to work with it's not that strong

most machines that bend/shear or form it lose about 1/2 capacity

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommays View Post
I believe THE is a brand of some type as even here on the east cost of the USA MOST of the stuff I buy has this on the head

316 is 316 and it might make it to a grade 3 BUT as its 316 nothing can really be added to change its strength

SS is kind of funny stuff as while it tough as hell to work with it's not that strong

most machines that bend/shear or form it lose about 1/2 capacity
That what I am thinking on the THE, the name brand. But every search I do I cannot find a manufacturer called THE. Next time I am in a store that sells the THE, I will ask them where the bolt came from to try to figure it out. Post if I find anything.
Regards
Old 05-04-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Here's and article on SS bolts and grades.. looks like 316 is sub-Grade 5, I know in industry SS doesn't do well in high vibration situations....

Article: Stainless steel fasteners

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 05-04-2012
Large Member

mdbee is on a distinguished road

316 is also weaker than 18-8. Technically 316 is more resistant to corrosion (when used in applications like the chemical industry) but 18-8 seems to be preferred for marine use. (or so I have been told by experts)
Old 05-06-2012

sevseasail is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdbee View Post
316 is also weaker than 18-8. Technically 316 is more resistant to corrosion (when used in applications like the chemical industry) but 18-8 seems to be preferred for marine use. (or so I have been told by experts)
I thought 316 was the preferred for the marine use.....

S/V Chata
1980 Catalina 22

"Common sense is the least common of the senses"

Old 05-06-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevseasail View Post
You were right. 316 is a bit weaker than 304 but is more corrosion resistant. This is one of those cases where you have to be careful about info gleaned from the web. I have seen actual tables on the web that showed 316 was stronger but it isn't.

As a VERY rough rule of thumb, constituents in alloys that improve corrosion resistance (chrome, nickle) either don't increase it's strength or actually weaken it. Constituents that strengthen it (carbon) reduce its corrosion resistance.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 05-06-2012

sevseasail is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
You were right. 316 is a bit weaker than 304 but is more corrosion resistant. This is one of those cases where you have to be careful about info gleaned from the web. I have seen actual tables on the web that showed 316 was stronger but it isn't.

As a VERY rough rule of thumb, constituents in alloys that improve corrosion resistance (chrome, nickle) either don't increase it's strength or actually weaken it. Constituents that strengthen it (carbon) reduce its corrosion resistance.
Thank you for that !!

S/V Chata
1980 Catalina 22

"Common sense is the least common of the senses"

Old 05-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevseasail View Post
My understanding is 316 is recommended for highly corrosive areas such as the tropics and Floriday. Hot areas that get salt spray and sailing in salt water environments is highly corrosive and 316 recommended. This also is supported by rigging wire suppliers. They can supply 304 or 316 but recommend 316 for tropics. I think 316 is about 10% weaker as compred to 304. Not a significant amount. And if you can prevent corrosion, 10% recuction in strength is well work it.

Marine Wire Rope & Cable, Yacht Rigging, Life Line - Loos & Co., Inc.
Old 05-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1999 View Post
That what I am thinking on the THE, the name brand. But every search I do I cannot find a manufacturer called THE. Next time I am in a store that sells the THE, I will ask them where the bolt came from to try to figure it out. Post if I find anything.
Regards
Ok so I talk to some of the big name bolt suppliers. They tell me the letters "THE" are the manufactur's stamp, but the suppliers cannot tell me the company that makes the bolt, even though they sell the brand. Apparenly the manufacutere is located in either sout Korea or Tawain.

The bolt business seems like kind of a funny thing. You buy a bolt but not really sure who made it. Seems like the supply could be filled with cheap knock off imitations.

A little scary when you are sailing in 30 knots wondering if that single bolt holding your main shroud mast tangs is high quality or some cheap knock off. A previous post gave me the name B&S bolt in VA that sells mil spec bolts- I plan to get those.
http://bsbolts.com/

Last edited by casey1999; 05-07-2012 at 03:18 PM.