Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2012

meboater is on a distinguished road
yamaha 9.9 outboard help.

Hey all-
The motor is a 2008ish 9.9 high thrust.

At the end of last season, it ran, but would not idle smoothly, and needed fiddling. After properly storing for the winter, it would not start. After spraying some carb cleaner in the air intake, it would spark, but not start. Fuel made all the way to the carb, so I removed the carb.

Found grunch in here, cleaned it out. Also passed a wire through the main jet, and sprayed with cleaner. There was what I believe is a second jet, but too small to clean. Sprayed with cleaner.

The motor now starts, and runs reasonably smoothly, but, is hard to start. there is no choke, and AFAIK, it is supposed to start in neutral, no throttle, using just the key. It does not. After a bit of messing, it will start at half throttle, and need to warm up before going down to idle.

There are three adjustments, 2 I think I understand, 1 that I don't:

1: idle
2: throttle linkage. affects when the throttle responds. Should not be used to adjust idle.
3: no idea. It has an adjusment, and when I had the carb off, it appeared to move a small, gasketed cylinder in the bottom of the float bowl.

What does number three do?

Other thoughts:
Any chance ther is any problem with the vacuum lnes? The boat has no choke, and as I understand it, the vacuum lines play a role in starting, idling, etc, as a choke would.

last but not least- No air filter. can this be right?

I appreciate anybody's thoughts or experiences with this.
This board has always been a big help on matters like this.

HH
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-07-2012
AEOLUS II

WouldaShoulda is on a distinguished road
Re: yamaha 9.9 outboard help.

I have a slightly older one. The PDF owners manual is of no assistance.

You (both of us) need a shop manual of some kind.

Mine has instructions on the throttle handle to apply throttle for cold starting and none for warm starting. But again, mine is several years older.

Last edited by WouldaShoulda; 05-07-2012 at 01:39 PM.
Old 05-07-2012

dabnis is on a distinguished road

Not familiar with your particular motor so I am kind of guessing but I think #1 may be a limiter associated with the shift mechanism. #2 looks like the idle speed adjustment.
#3 could be a cable lenght adjustment fitting. I had the same problem with a Honda 2HP .
Cleaned the carb out as best as I could, mostly solved the problem but could never get it to run spot on. Solution, a new carb, runs perfectly. If there is a drain plug or fitting on the carb, suggest you drain it if it is going to sit for more than a couple of weeks. You really need a good manual to know what everything does.

Paul T
Old 05-08-2012

INMA is on a distinguished road

First thing is the engine probably has an electrically operated choke which has a solenoid (the round black thing on the engine). I am not sure whether the choke is energised for it to be on or whether its on then energised to go off.

There are basic things to check troubleshooting an engine that is hard to start. Fuel, air and spark are the basics to check before pulling things apart.

Spark is a classic because people leave the emergency lanyard off and wonder why they can't get an outboard to fire up.

Any basic manual should give you enough to figure out where to look for the cause of your starting problems.
Old 05-08-2012

sailguy40 is on a distinguished road

Sounds like a dirty carb. I just had a similar problem with my Nissan 9.8. Mine would start after a couple tries but if i drop throttle below half it would sputter and die. I spray cleaned it 4 times with marine carb cleaner still no luck. I tried fuel treatment, no luck. I replaced fuel filter and spark plugs and you guessed it, no luck. A mechanic told me i did not clean the carb. I needed to do a thorough cleaning. This meant disassembling the carb completely, all jets, nozzle, etc and soaking it in carb dip for 4 hours. Then spraying all parts with carb spray and putting it back on. Well i did this and it worked. It was actually my slow jet i think that was clogged. That small jet you mention, spray alone wont clean it. Try those things above and i bet it will work. Oh and change fuel filter on motor and tank as well as spark plugs. Another thing make sure all fuel lines are free and clear.
jrd22 likes this.
Old 05-08-2012

jimpbradley is on a distinguished road

I'm new and this isn't a reply, but I have a new to me Pearson 26 One Design. I measured a Johnson long shaft and the bottom of the motor would hit my rudder. Is this a problem with other outboard long shafts? Help!
Old 08-08-2013

olson34 is on a distinguished road

And Where.... is a Moderator when we need one?
Old 08-08-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by olson34 View Post
And Where.... is a Moderator when we need one?
Holy Macaroni! THat was the longest freaking spam message I have ever seen!

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 08-08-2013

gershel is on a distinguished road

The choke solenoid sits atop the carb. That may need to be cleaned or replaced. Try holding the linkage to see if the choke is the problem. I have 2 9.9,s and before I try to start them, I aways pump the throttle about 5 times.
Seems to work for me.
Marc
Old 08-09-2013

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road

I have 2 of those motors. Lots of good advice and trouble shooting guides can be found on the PDQ forum, as ALL PDQs use these.

#1 is the accelerator pump. Really just a fitting adjustment and should not need changed.
#2 is the idle stop.
#3 is a fitting adjustment for the throttle, probably not needed to adjust.

Some models have idle mix screws, but I can't see; it is on the top of the carb. Still, if it ran before, the problem is dirt and not adjustment.

Yes, pumping the throttle before starting is common on these motors. 2-5 times should do. As everyone posted, mostly what she needs is a good cleaning.

Yup, ethanol and water is the problem. Under the dirt is probably corrosion as well. There are additives that will help a great deal:
Sail Delmarva: Gasoline Additive Corrosion Testing

And vent filters help by keeping the water vapor out. These have been shown to reduce fuel breakdown and corrosion in both gasoline and diesel; Practical Sailor has done multiple rounds of both field and on-boat testing:
Sail Delmarva: Gasoline and Fuel Tank Vent Filters

Shop manuals came with mine--good dealer! Maybe they'll sell one. Shipyard Island Marina, 800-213-3323.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

Last edited by pdqaltair; 08-09-2013 at 07:51 AM.