Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Storing impellers

I just chewed up a brand new impeller that I installed two weeks ago and ran for a total of an hour. Every single blade broke, although, much of that could have happened post failure, due to the heat that built in the pump. We were motoring out, noticed excessive exhaust smoke and shut down. I have a pic, but not on this iPad.

I did have some yard work done between the one run I made and this failure. They changed fuel filters for me and, since I always close the raw water seacock, I wondered if they ran her dry when they bled the system.

Of course, they deny it, as I expected. I will never know for sure.

The only remaining potential is that the impeller dried out. It was on a shelf in the engine compartment for about 9 months. I always keep a spare aboard and use it to commission in the spring and buy another spare. Not much use as a spare, if it fails in an hour.

I've heard of people keeping their impellers packed in glycerin or oil. I never have.

How do you store yours?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-08-2012

johnnyquest37 is on a distinguished road
Re: Storing impellers

When I take mine out for the winter, I coat it with petroleum jelly. Never thought to do this to a new impellor being saved as a spare.

LET'S GET SERIOUS ABOUT REMOVING POLITCAL TAG LINES -- NOW!
Old 05-08-2012
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

Petroleum products can attack the rubber. If you want to store it in something, use olive oil or silicone grease.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 05-08-2012
Hmmm

Bilgewater is on a distinguished road

Don't know about storage, I just store mine as it comes and they always seem to work fine. I would guess the overheat buzzer would have gone off for the mechanics. Although I was talking to someone at my boat yesterday meanwhile his was overheating and buzzing away and it was directly in front of mine and neither of us heard it...so you never know.

Anyway, I made a large laminated tag that I snap to the ignition key that says open seacock. I snap it on whenever I close the valve for whatever reason. It's mainly for myself but it also serves for purposes such as this. Just a thought.
casey1999 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Impulse III
Truant Pilothouse
Old 05-08-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

You also have to wonder how long that impeller has been 'on the shelf' at the vendor. I do suspect that these bits can 'dry out' in time and become somewhat more brittle than they were when new. I think the same applies to other rubber parts like heat exchanger boots etc.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 05-08-2012

bjung is on a distinguished road

I had the same results with an impeller, luckily all rubber parts ended up before the heat exchanger. I suggest using either glycerin or talcum powder for spare storage, and/or vacuumpack individually.
I also had the same problems with belts. I went through two belts in one day, that were stored on board for over a year. They both delaminated.
Old 05-08-2012
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I just chewed up a brand new impeller that I installed two weeks ago and ran for a total of an hour. Every single blade broke, although, much of that could have happened post failure, due to the heat that built in the pump. We were motoring out, noticed excessive exhaust smoke and shut down. I have a pic, but not on this iPad.

I did have some yard work done between the one run I made and this failure. They changed fuel filters for me and, since I always close the raw water seacock, I wondered if they ran her dry when they bled the system.

Of course, they deny it, as I expected. I will never know for sure.

The only remaining potential is that the impeller dried out. It was on a shelf in the engine compartment for about 9 months. I always keep a spare aboard and use it to commission in the spring and buy another spare. Not much use as a spare, if it fails in an hour.

I've heard of people keeping their impellers packed in glycerin or oil. I never have.

How do you store yours?
We keep two spares (not in the engine compartment which get too hot!). I wipe our newly purchased spare down with the glycerin tab that comes with the impeller, wrap it in wax paper and vacuum seal it in a plastic pouch with our FoodSaver and put the date on the pouch with a marker. We replace the impeller at 100 hour intervals, or one year, whichever comes first, with the oldest spare and buy a new one. Never had a failure.

As others have noted, do not use a petroleum based lube.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 05-08-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I practice the rotating inventory method exactly and replace the impeller at least annually. Always during Spring commissioning and again if hours suggest. The only other I've ever had fail was many many years ago, when I was less diligent. I've never had a brand new one fail, although, I have heard of it happening.

I am also suspect of the age of the impeller when I received it. How would one know.

I would rather not use the included glycerin pack for storage, as I would like to use it when it comes time to install. I particularly like to squeeze it right between the blades, after its been installed, to insure a seal for priming.

Spray with silicon spray maybe?

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 05-08-2012

GrumpyPawPaw is on a distinguished road

EVOO works great.
Old 05-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyPawPaw View Post
EVOO works great.
I've heard of the idea. Sounds pretty weird and worry that the food oil goes rancid.

Jeanneau 54DS