Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Minnewaska

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2012

djangodog is on a distinguished road
Pump-out troubleshooting

Our marina has individual pump out hookups at the slips which is a nice touch. I successfully pumped-out our holding tank about 2 months ago, everything went according to plan.

I attempted a second pump out about 3 weeks ago: primed the pump properly, it had suction, then once sticking the nozzle in the deck fitting, nothing was pumped out; the only thing going on was the sound of air entering the intake vent. My assumption was that the person we have clean our boat every couple of months had pumped it out without telling us (which was fine by me!) since everything was behaving as if the tank was empty.

Tried to pump out again this weekend in order to put some cleaning solution in the tank - same problem. Only air is being pulled into the intake vent and we know the tank isn't empty. Pretty sure there aren't valves on board to switch before pumping out - so it should definitely work.

Any ideas on what to check or what could be the cause? There's no 'head odor' so no obvious leaks. Thanks in advance...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-08-2012

johnnyquest37 is on a distinguished road
Re: Pump-out troubleshooting

Try plugging up the air vent so that suction can develop in your holding tank.

LET'S GET SERIOUS ABOUT REMOVING POLITCAL TAG LINES -- NOW!
Old 05-08-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

In my unscientific observation, pump outs are entirely unreliable to actually empty your tank. I've had what I thought was a near full tank (77 gallons) take a minute to pump and just knew they didn't get it all. The most recent vindication was the marina having to replace their pump, as it wasn't generating enough suction.

I finally installed a SCAD tank monitor with a PVC tube solid state level probe. It works great and has no moving parts to fail. Now I know whether I've been emptied or not and how much capacity I have at any point.

It is also safe to be full of $hit again.
chef2sail likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 05-08-2012
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

Nothing seems to make sense with this one. If air is being drawn through the vent, then vacuum is being applied to the discharge/pump-out hose. However, I have seen situations where the boat is leaning a bit, therefore creating sufficient angle of the tank so the contents are on the lower side of the tank and the pump-out hose is situated at the opposite end and merely drawing air. Check the location of the pump-out hose and be sure the boat is tilted toward the hose while pumping.

Good Luck,

Gary
Old 05-09-2012

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road

An air leak in the hose between the tank and pumpout connection could cause that. Check the hose clamps.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.