SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

varnish job

974 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  therishel 
#1 ·
It took two days to strip the varnish off my caprail. I was going to use Franmar soy bean stripper but it did not do the job. So I had to go the heat gun route.
Does it matter if between sanding and applying cetol the caprail gets rained on? Rain in the forecast next few days.

#4 ·
Yeah - it matters. You will want to let it dry out as completely as possible before re-coating. Part of what you are getting when you finish wood is resistance to water penetration. From what I understand, Cetol "breathes", which usually means that some water vapor can pass in and out of the wood through the coating. Nonetheless, you don't want to trap the moisture in the wood. Is there any way that you can cover it during the interval between stripping and re-coating?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.