Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-11-2012

Irunbird is on a distinguished road
Lashing for Dyneema lifelines?

Hi, Folks- I'm in the process of replacing the lifelines on my O-30 with Dyneema, and I've placed eye-splices in the ends of them, and plan to lash them with 2.8mm spiderline. I've never done a lashing before, and can't seem to locate any online Youtube videos or articles on any of the common knot web-pages to show how it's done. Zanshin has photos on his home page (Zanshin I Lifelines - wire replaced with Dyneema), but there's no description there, either. Can anyone point me in a good direction for this sort of thing?

Ray
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-11-2012

mm2187 is on a distinguished road
Re: Lashing for Dyneema lifelines?

Check out the link below. I think your using the wrong terminology. It is not called lashing it is called whipping. I think if you were to google whipping a halyard or something along those lines you will find alot more information.

New England Ropes - Splicing Guide
Old 05-11-2012

Freerider is on a distinguished road

Are you talking about doing this. I found it at http://www.colligomarine.com/Synthetic-lifelines.htm. Not sure about the step by step, so really I'm no help at all.
Attached Thumbnails
Lashing for Dyneema lifelines?-new_goodlifeline1.jpg  
Old 05-11-2012

Yes- I actually do mean lashing (as the guy above shows in the photo). You can almost see how it's done from the Colligomarine web-site, but it's still kind of a mystery. Whipping I'm familiar with- I've whipped the eye-splice at the throat of these Dyneema lines to help stabilize the splice and do a better job keeping the thimble in place. The lashing will attach these to both stern and bow railing. I'm sure there's something out there... What I'd like to avoid is having my lashing be the weak link in the lifelines. They need to meet ISAF cat 1 offshore regs, but there's no specification anywhere on how many turns is recommended for this sort of lashing, or what hitches are to be used to keep it from working loose.
Old 05-11-2012

overbored is on a distinguished road

here is a how to http://www.sv-zanshin.com/manuals/co...etiever1_1.pdf
think of it as block and tackle. if the spider line is 1/4 the strength of the life line then you need 4 turns on the lashing. also consider using a luggage tag hitch for one end and a adjustable pelican hook at the other with a luggage tag hitch. use the adjustable eye to tighten. On a O-30 you do not want the life line tight at all or the crew will have a tough time hiking out while leaning against the life lines.
Old 05-11-2012

knuterikt is on a distinguished road

No pictures try to explain
  • Tie (bowline) or splice the lashing line to the eye of your lifeline.
  • Do some (two or three) roundturns through the fixingpoint (with to many it gets hard to take in the slack)
  • Tighten the the lashing by pulling on the lashing line so you get the tension you need on the lifeline
  • Add more roundturns whith the lashing line while keeping tension on the line
  • When you have made enough roundturns - make sure that all the turns are equaly lodad.
  • secure the lashing with half hitches around the lashing do at least so many that you cover an inch (2.5 cm) of the lashing (i prefer to cover the whole lashing with half hitches - it looks neater
  • Pull/push the lashing line through the middle and out on the other side before cutting the line.

Rememer that it is the combined strenght of the line in the roundturns that give strenght.
The half hitches lock's the end and pushes the line toghether to give friction between the "strands"
Old 05-12-2012

Thanks, you guys- that's exactly what I'm looking for.
Old 07-24-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by knuterikt View Post
No pictures try to explain
  • Tie (bowline) or splice the lashing line to the eye of your lifeline.
  • Do some (two or three) roundturns through the fixingpoint (with to many it gets hard to take in the slack)
  • Tighten the the lashing by pulling on the lashing line so you get the tension you need on the lifeline
  • Add more roundturns whith the lashing line while keeping tension on the line
  • When you have made enough roundturns - make sure that all the turns are equaly lodad.
  • secure the lashing with half hitches around the lashing do at least so many that you cover an inch (2.5 cm) of the lashing (i prefer to cover the whole lashing with half hitches - it looks neater
  • Pull/push the lashing line through the middle and out on the other side before cutting the line.

Rememer that it is the combined strenght of the line in the roundturns that give strenght.
The half hitches lock's the end and pushes the line toghether to give friction between the "strands"
I'm just about ready to finish these things off, but one thing sorta bugs me about just tucking the end of the lashing under itself without tying it to something. Wouldn't it be more secure with some sort of knot (other than a stopper knot)? Not sure if you can picture what I mean...
Old 07-24-2012

knuterikt is on a distinguished road

With all the half hitches keeping the lashing in place i don't think it will get Loose.

If you are worried about that you can
-make the two last half hitches Loose.
-pull the working end through the lashing between the tight hitches and the loose ones.
-then tighten the last hitches
-Tighten the working end
-cut snug