Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-12-2012
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Re: What holds the deck on on my Cal 2-27?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchee View Post
Hey Folks...

Today I started a major hull cleaning/buffing/waxing on my new Cal 2-27. I also plan to clean and paint the rubrails (buoy paint, as recommended in various discussions online.) I took off the rubrail by removing about 100 stainless steel screws and washers, and brought it home with me. The screws are in a jar in the back of my truck.

Now I'm sitting at home wondering if those screws form a vital mechanical joint between the hull and deck (the rubrail definitely covers the hull-deck flange on this boat.)

Am I going to go back to the yard tomorrow and find my mast laying across the two boats next to me, and my deck peeled back like the top of a sardine can?
The Cal Deck-Hull fitting was known as a shoe box (lid) joint. The screws through the underside of the rub-rail merely hold it in place. The following is a sketch of the joint on our former yacht that may be/ likely is the same as yours. The boats were built much in the manner of aircraft, relying on adhesive rather than bolts. In some cases, the joint was glassed over inside the hull once the deck was in place to prevent leakage:
Attached Thumbnails
What holds the deck on on my Cal 2-27?-hull-deck-joint-sketch.jpg  
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-12-2012
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road

I don't believe that there is a stringer on the 2-27 (At least not on my 2-27). But other than that it's pretty much like svHyLyte's sketch. Also, the joint is glasses over on the inside, which makes it essentially leak-proof.
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
Old 05-12-2012

tommays will become famous soon enough

Going with it is built the same as the 29' it is the weakest type of hull deck joint construction and it took a free ride off the mooring and a long pounding on some pilings to break the starboard joint on my hull

BUT it is STILL REALLY strong and while a mess to grind out the old tape it is as good as new and the port side is still PERFECT after 42 years so i would not worry as the rail is decorative and provides a bit of piling rubbing protection

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-12-2012
Senior Cruiser

sea_hunter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchee View Post
Thanks sea hunter.

The point is, are the screws that I took out to remove the rubrail the same screws that fasten the deck to the hull? Fortunately, I've learned here that there is also glass and adhesive, but I'm still wondering about those screws.
The screws don't bind the topside to the hull, they're bolted and glued with 5200 together. You'd need a jackhammer, a chainsaw and a sawsall to try and separate them, but in the end, they'd still be glued together.
Old 05-12-2012

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

That mechanical joint looks excellent. However, hull deck joint failure at sea in other designs was once quite common, as that is the joint which takes the entire twisting load of a boat at sea. You can see this by taking the lid off a tupper ware container, twisting it,then trying the same with the lid on, much stiffer. Thus, some designers in the past drastically underestimated the loads on this joint. On my origami boats, the hulls are quite floppy, before the decks go on. Once the decks are on, you cant change it with a hydraulic jack. I once broke the handle off a chain comealong trying to change it 1/16th of an inch.
Zero risk of problems in a yard, only at sea in a storm.
Old 05-13-2012

scratchee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
(thumbnail)
Thanks for that picture. That's a great bit of information.

Tommays, I actually ran across your blog while looking for information on my 2-27! My joint looks a lot different than yours though.

I did spend a few hours working on her today, and nothing fell apart. So I guess I'm good. Really appreciate all the information.
Old 05-13-2012

scratchee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommays View Post
Going with it is built the same as the 29' it is the weakest type of hull deck joint construction and it took a free ride off the mooring and a long pounding on some pilings to break the starboard joint on my hull
Actually, in spite of what I said above, I took another looks at your photos and I believe they're closer than I thought. There is less of a gap between the flanges on mine, but they do look similar.

I also discovered a couple areas where the boat had kissed a piling and the flanges were crushed. These were not visible until the rubrail was removed. Someday I might build them back up, but the joint itself does not appear to be damaged (and the interior has been dry for many years.)
Old 05-13-2012

kurt.603 is on a distinguished road

Good evening! My 1976 Cal 2-27 looks similar in the rub rail design but one thing I feel has been over looked in the discussion is the strength of the chain plates the rigging attaches to. With the rig is up, good luck trying to pry the joint apart. The tabbing on the hull is ridiculous by today's standards. These boats were built before the builders realized the strength of the fiber glass and in my opinion way over built, which is great for us.