Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-13-2012

ukrsindicat is on a distinguished road
Harken Furler/ Headstay Question

Hey, guys, I got a headstay/furler related question.
Boat: 1968 Newport 30'
I have bought used Harken MKII and it is an adventure to figure out how will I put this together with a new headstay.
I used a caliper and discovered the following measures on this Harken:
1. Clevis hole opening is 0.38"(so I assume it is 3/8"). I hope this Harken is not metric.
2. I took Drum Assembly aparts and discover a piece of the old wire that was secured to drum by the swageless fitting. This old wire was measured at 0.225(so I guess it is 7/32)
3. Foil connectors. I measured the wire holes inside the connectors to have a clearance of 0.26".
I couldn't find any manuals on the MKII. I was only able to find the Parts list. I looked around the Harken website and downloaded a manual for MKIII-0 which is somewhat similar(looking at the setup).

I am also planning on replacing my headstay. My current headstay is 7/32, however it it old and couple strands are busted.

So I have some questions:
1. Will I be able to fit 7/32 wire into above mentioned foil connectors?
2. I want to take this furler aparts to clean and lube it as it collected some salt and . What do I use to clean it and lube it?
3. I prefer to use swageless terminal to secure the top of my headstay to the mast head. What would be a better fitting to use?
4. Considering how my mast head is setup(see a picture), will I need to install halyard restrainer? Such as this Harken Halyard Restrainer

Thank you for any opinions!
Attached Thumbnails
Harken Furler/ Headstay Question-img_0102.jpg   Harken Furler/ Headstay Question-imag0075.jpg  
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-14-2012
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Harken Furler/ Headstay Question

Do you have wire halyards? If the 2 wires closest to the mast are your halards then YES you will need a halyard restrainer. My rigger always installs them for cheap insurance against very bad things. I can't recall the exact angle you want for your halyard to stay (25deg???) but it's a lot wider than what it looks like you have.

Good luck with the project. Don't forget to try and call Harken tech support. Good source of free and useful advice.

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-14-2012

Dog Ship is on a distinguished road

My fairleads are much simpler than that piece with the sheave.
Mine are basically a heavy staple made of bronze. They ware out after quite a few years but they don't chafe your wire halyard, they only require two holes to be drilled, and they don't cost $60!!! a piece.
Old 05-14-2012

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrsindicat View Post
So I have some questions:
1. Will I be able to fit 7/32 wire into above mentioned foil connectors?
2. I want to take this furler aparts to clean and lube it as it collected some salt and . What do I use to clean it and lube it?
3. I prefer to use swageless terminal to secure the top of my headstay to the mast head. What would be a better fitting to use?
4. Considering how my mast head is setup(see a picture), will I need to install halyard restrainer? Such as this Harken Halyard Restrainer

Thank you for any opinions!
1. Yes
2. Just rinse with fresh water and give it a spray with a light lubricant like WD 40.
3. A swage fitting.
4. Yes, but as mentioned, you don't need the overcomplicated and expensive Harken restrainer.
Faster likes this.