SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   SSB Antenna wire attachment to the backstay (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/87364-ssb-antenna-wire-attachment-backstay.html)

brokesailor 05-14-2012 08:11 AM

SSB Antenna wire attachment to the backstay

1 Attachment(s)
Right now the wire is held onto the backstay by a hose clamp. What should I use, any links would be appreciated. Also the wire is a copper wire attached to the SS backstay. Short of replacing the wire is there anything I can do to prevent corrosion?

sea_hunter 05-14-2012 08:24 AM

Use a di-electric paste after silvering the copper ends and install with a proper SS antenna clamp.

windward54 05-14-2012 10:28 AM

Re: SSB Antenna wire attachment to the backstay

The hose clamp works well, but make sure you cover the end with tape as well.

fairbank56 05-14-2012 02:29 PM

Just do a good job of weatherproofing the connection as I have done here using Scotch 2242 rubber tape (sticky side out) and top layer of Scotch 33+ vinyl tape. This one I did years ago and it's still clean, bright and shiney.

Eric

http://home.comcast.net/~fairbank56/backstayantenna.jpg

SVAuspicious 05-16-2012 12:28 PM

Wire clamps work better than hose clamps.

svHyLyte 05-16-2012 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brokesailor (Post 870903)
Right now the wire is held onto the backstay by a hose clamp. What should I use, any links would be appreciated. Also the wire is a copper wire attached to the SS backstay. Short of replacing the wire is there anything I can do to prevent corrosion?

Bill Trayfors, an experienced cruiser and knowledgeable radio technician active on several sailing forums taught me that an effective connection can be made by attaching a ring-connector to the end of the cable between your antenna tuner and the back-stay with an appropriate heat shrink cover to seal the cable; passing a #12 or so bolt through the ring connector and fastening it in place with a couple of nuts tightened against the ring and then one another; bending the bolt 30 to 45 degrees roughly 1/4" to 1/2" past the ring connector/nuts; flattening the side of the bolt opposite the bend with a drummel tool; and, fastening the flattened side of the bolt against the back-stay with a couple of bull-dog wire clamps. Finish the connection with a couple of wraps of self-amalgamating tape (e.g. "Rescue Tape"). This makes for a sturdy, reliable, waterproof connection that will last for a very long time.

FWIW...

btrayfors 05-17-2012 03:38 PM

Yes, that will work fine. Here are some pix to show what you've described:

Marine Antennas

(click twice on each pic for full resolution)

I still use this once in a while, but have found that an easier method which works very well is to use s/s wire clamps, sized to the backstay diameter. You just put a waterproof, heat-shrink ring terminal on the end of the GTO-15 feedline, slip the terminal over one of the legs of the clamp, and add another nut.

Most of these fittings these days are metric, so you'll need a metric nut.

This allows for very easy connection and inspection/cleaning/replacement when needed.

If you do the waterproofing well, you won't need a "drip loop", either. Just go straight up to the wire clamp.

I still use the "bent bolt" trick on "alternate backstay antennas", i.e., those made from 3/16" insulated s/s lifeline. Normally, I stick one end of the bolt into a Nicopress sleeve and clamp it onto the standing part of the wire. See last pic on above-referenced page.

Bill

SVAuspicious 05-17-2012 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVAuspicious (Post 871900)
Wire clamps work better than hose clamps.

Quote:

Originally Posted by btrayfors (Post 872394)
I still use this once in a while, but have found that an easier method which works very well is to use s/s wire clamps, sized to the backstay diameter.

As I said, but Bill had more time to type today than I did. *grin*

Note that this connection is always a maintenance item. Take the tape off every year or so (I do mine as part of getting the boat ready to haul for bottom paint) and check for tightness and corrosion and then retape.

brokesailor 05-18-2012 04:38 AM

Thanks! I'll try the bent bolt idea.

fairbank56 05-18-2012 07:52 AM

I really don't get the bent bolt idea. Three hose clamps, bolt-washer-nut, terminal lug, and the difficulty sealing this contraption up OR a single hose clamp over the wire. But hey, if you want to make it more difficult than it is, go for it. No disrespect to Bill who generally has good idea's and info ;)

Eric