Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2012

Mitch817 is on a distinguished road
repair advice on a Catalina 22

Good afternoon all.

I went out over the weekend and looked over a Catalina 22 on a trailer and found a few issues that I'm not sure how big a problem I'm looking at.

It's a 1974 Catalina 22, been out of the water for about a year now. It's a swing keel, sitting on a trailer. The boat has lived in fresh water or on a trailer it's entire life in Texas. The current owner doesn't know anything about the boat, only that he bought it about a year ago to put on the water and then lost interest in his "project"

There's a crack/separation going on in the forward port side bilge (see attached picture). This is the same area that the keel lock is located (it's jammed too, I think they raised the swing keel without unlocking it, another issue to think about). I don't know what could have caused that and if it's a big issue or something I can just patch and go or if that damage might have been caused by something else more major like a keel strike.

The other issue is that on both the port and starboard sides, midship, along the inside cabin rail there are a set of cracks. I've attached the worst pic of them from the starboard side. This is roughly about where the windows are on the catalina. I'm guessing it's water leakage from either the windows or the shrouds.

Otherwise, the boat seems generally in okay shape. Dirty, but pretty much complete. Even has the original Catalina motor mount(THAT needs replaced!). There's another crack inside the cabin, but that's in the liner at the battery box. Someone stepped on a weak spot there or dropped something and it's cracked. It's not a structural/hull/outside leak worry though, so I'm not as concerned about it. I know how to fix that one.

For a neglected 37 year old boat she's not in that bad of shape I don't think. Assuming the issues I posted pictures of aren't too bad/expensive to fix to have her back on the water and into rehab.

Cost of the boat to me, practically free save for titling her with the state. The only money I'll have in her will be repair costs and my time.

So, I ask the collective, what think ye? Fixable? What do you think is going on in these areas?

Thanks for the advice,
Mitch
Attached Thumbnails
repair advice on a Catalina 22-portforwardcrack.jpg   repair advice on a Catalina 22-starbordmidship.jpg  
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-14-2012

AKscooter is on a distinguished road
Re: repair advice on a Catalina 22

Check the cable to raise and lower the keel, the bushing of said keel....etc......that job is a beyotch....and spendy as you need a lift with a cradle...yes if you are handy you can make one at home. The other stuff??? How deep is the rabbit hole????
Old 05-14-2012

dabnis is on a distinguished road

A little hard to tell from the pictures, but the first one looks pretty severe, possibly from a hard grounding with the keel locked down? The second one might indicate a separation in the hull/deck seam, maybe from being "driven hard"? You didn't say where you intend to use it, but if in cold water over your head, I suggest you find another boat in sound condition. If something is "free"there is generally a reason.

Paul T
Old 05-14-2012

sevseasail is on a distinguished road

I don't know about the first one; can you see anything on the outside of the hull in that area? It might just be poorly finished glass job on that corner. Duno...

The second one appears to have a deck hull separation as mentioned above, again I would check the outside to see if there was some kind of impact.

The thing with the catalina 22 is that there are so many of them that it's not worth getting into something you are not sure about; another will come up on the market soon.
I know you mention this boat is free, but, also as it was mentioned above....it's for a reason....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Chata
1980 Catalina 22

"Common sense is the least common of the senses"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-14-2012

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road

First things first: I owned a C22 of approximately the same vintage for thirteen years. The tabbing is a pretty easy repair that you can do yourself. Looking at the picture, I think it was a problem that originated when the boat was built – note the concave feature of the original bond line. Buy the pump set for the West Epoxy system and measuring is a snap. The keel lockdown pin is frozen? Have you tried some PB Blaster? If it is bent and not frozen due to corrosion, you may need to do some more glass work. This is not a totally uncommon occurrence when you realize that there is close to twenty thousand of these boats out there. A little more involved than the tabbing but definitely doable by owner. Catalina Direct probably sells a repair kit for this part. You can raise the boat with a floor jack and some cribbing to expose the keel cable attachment. Again, Catalina Direct sells bushings and an “upgrade” kit. The midship cracks are in the cabin mold and frankly, they have me baffled. Do you see any evidence of a repair or oil canning on the outside hull? These cracks shouldn’t be structural and you can repair them by opening up them with a demel tool fill with thickened epoxy and cover with gel cote. There is more artesian work here and as a beginner, expect this not to look nearly as finished, you might just want to use white pigment in the epoxy and bee done with it. More troubling is the apparent water intrusion around the shroud bolt. You might want to take a plastic hammer and do a tap test on all the decks. Water intrusion is a lot bigger problem and depending upon the purchase price, a deal breaker for me. If you are going back to the boat TAKE MORE PICTURES! Shoot 50 -100 of them and of everything – rigging, sails hull, etc. That way I can kibitz some more.
Old 05-14-2012

Mitch817 is on a distinguished road

I appreciate all the advice you guys have given so far.

In response to George's request I uploaded all the pics I have on the boat to the following flickr set

Catalina 22 - a set on Flickr

they aren't the best pictures, but I tried to get most of what I think or see that I might want to look at again.

I found an impact ringing on one side on the other side of where something shows up on the inside rail area. The other side, I'm not sure, there's a gouge and possible a pair of vertical cracks along the rub rail. I didn't notice the vertical cracks on saturday when I was taking the picture of the gouge.

There's a bit of work to do on the bottom, was already planning to fill/paint everything down there.

The boat belongs to my brothers father-in-law who has decided he doesn't want to go into boat repair/refurbishment after all. He's offered it to us if we'll hook it up and get it off his property with the titles/registration. He bough it used about a year ago and pulled it out of a local lake in Texas.

I have done some repair work on the 22's in my local sailing group, so I'm fairly familiar with a lot of things on them. Though I've never worked/sailed on one of this vintage. She's a bit different.

I saw the water entry along the shrouds and did do a hammer tap test on the deck around them all. Mostly it sounds okay, there is one area that sounds a bit soft and I expect I'd have to epoxy/strengthen the area with all new plates underneath for everything.

The price is right, but I don't want to end up with a project that will cost me more to put right than she's worth when I'm done, if that makes any sense. Most of the work we'll do ourselves if we can.

I'm starting to feel like maybe we should pass on it as a project boat though. Though I'm still interested in hearing what you guys think based on the rest of the pictures.

Thanks for the honest advice folks. I appreciate it.

Last edited by Mitch817; 05-14-2012 at 09:34 PM.
Old 05-14-2012

sevseasail is on a distinguished road

I would not want that boat even as a gift, you'll spend more time and money on it that you could get one in decent shape and be sailing the first week. Think about all the things you already know you have to fix and multiply by 2 for the things you'll find out you'll have to fix. granted a lot of those things are cosmetic, but still needs a lot of work and money....

Spend your money in a better boat and your time having fun in the water, not working on it.
AKscooter likes this.

S/V Chata
1980 Catalina 22

"Common sense is the least common of the senses"

Old 05-15-2012

sailguy40 is on a distinguished road

I don't see what you have to lose by taking the boat if its on a trailer and its a tandem axle trailer at that. Just that alone is probably worth it. It's not in a marina so no slip fees to get stuck paying either. From what I seen, Cat 22's in good shape with trailer go for as low as 3k up to as high as 6k. Since you already know how to work on those boats some you can look and know if you can do the work or not. Hey if not, then clean it up a bit and you can just sell it on craigslist for a grand. Like I said, just the trailer could be worth that. Take the money you make and put that towards another boat. If you can fix it for a couple thousand then sail it and have fun. Ever heard the saying "one man's junk is another man's treasure"?
Old 05-15-2012

dabnis is on a distinguished road

Some people like to work on boats, others like to sail. That boat looks like a lot of work and with no guarantee it will be sound. Sounds and looks like it took a beating.

Paul T
Old 05-15-2012
Load Bearing Member

CarbonSink62 is on a distinguished road

The cast aluminum spreader sockets are waiting to fail after 37 years; CatDir has stainless steel ones that are a recommended replacement. I suspect there are several items like this; each one will cost money and time.

Aside from being a boat, I don't see much to recommend this one.

I love the Catalinas, but I think you should pass on this one.

1978 Bristol 29.9 #122

Testing a mother's love since 1962