SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Identifying a Yanmar (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/87415-identifying-yanmar.html)

RichardM 05-15-2012 12:22 PM

Identifying a Yanmar

I have a three cylinder Yanmar diesel which has the fresh water intake to cool the internal cooling circuit. Is there a way to precisely identify which Yanmar it is, e.g. 3GM30, 3GMD, 3GM30F, through the engine serial number? The engine is in a 1985 Cal 33 is almost certainly original to the boat.

TIA for any help/suggestions.

RichardM
S/V Raven
Cal 33

DrB 05-15-2012 12:43 PM

Re: Identifying a Yanmar

If it is a fresh water cooled motor (ie has anti-freeze in the heat exchanger), that it is most likely a 3GM30F. The F means Fresh Water cooled. A 3GM30 is raw water cooled. I haven't heard of a 3GMD, but that doesn't mean it couldn't be that.

I have a 3GM30F motor in my boat. If you are looking at the pulley's, the oil filter is to the right, the sea water impeller is to the lower left, behind the lowest pulley and the air intake is on the right side, top, about half down the length.

DrB

aa3jy 05-15-2012 06:19 PM

You could also have a 3GM30 that was converted to fresh water. Do you have a Yanmar Service manual?

RichardM 05-15-2012 06:40 PM

Yes, I have a manual, but am not sure its what came with the engine/boat. Its at the boat, so I can't check specifics right now.

The fresh water impeller is off to the left as you are looking at the front of the engine, if that's any help.

casey1999 05-15-2012 06:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardM (Post 871380)
I have a three cylinder Yanmar diesel which has the fresh water intake to cool the internal cooling circuit. Is there a way to precisely identify which Yanmar it is, e.g. 3GM30, 3GMD, 3GM30F, through the engine serial number? The engine is in a 1985 Cal 33 is almost certainly original to the boat.

TIA for any help/suggestions.

RichardM
S/V Raven
Cal 33

There should be a name plate on the engine (in the area where the belts are), might need to wipe the area with rag to find it. The name plate should state model and serial number. There should be a name plate also on the transmission (oposite side from where belts are). 3GMD is a direct sea water cooled 3 cylinder Yanmar. Check the pic, name plate is hard to see but is the green/silver rectangle between the belts, just above the place where a hand crank would go.

Ilenart 05-16-2012 05:57 AM

I use to have a Yanmar 2QM20H and the name plate was in a difficult place to see on the left hand side of the engine (facing forward) hard up against the bulkhead. The only way I could see it was to to take a photgraph of it with a small camera with a flash as there was only a couple of inches space. The serial number was enscribed on the engine just to the left of the name plate.

Ilenart

JimsCAL 05-16-2012 07:22 AM

My 1985 Cal 33-2 has a 3GM30F so I'm pretty sure that's what you have. A Yanmar dealer should be able to confirm that from the nameplate data.

RichardM 05-16-2012 07:52 AM

Thanks for the information. I'll go up tomorrow and get the information off the engine and check with a dealer.

Nice to hear from another Cal 33 owner.

OasisII 05-16-2012 08:55 AM

The designation on my 3GM30 name plate is: 3GM30 93.
Engine was installed in 98. Yard mechanic told me that the 93 designated the year when the engine was built. Some on these forums advised that the engine was converted to fresh water which is why there is no "F" on the end of the number.

Turns out all wrong. Another mechanic told me that it was definitely not converted. After speaking with Mack Boring I learned that some individual boat builders had their own model designation put on the engine. In my case, the "F" was deleted from the model number and the "93" was specific to a boat builder. The engine never made it to the builder - probably due to an order cancellation.

I never took the serial number any further to learn who originally ordered the engine or what year it was built.

Mike