SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Diesel stink (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/8742-diesel-stink.html)

bmcald 12-24-2003 10:32 PM

Diesel stink

Any tips for getting rid of diesel fuel stink in the boat and on clothes after bleeding air from fuel lines?

pirateofcapeann 12-25-2003 03:30 PM

Diesel stink

Yea, just read your last post on the oars thing and figured you''d be getting around to this! There actually is a product available to the pros that you can spray on gas and diesel spills to get rid of the odor. I used some one time several years ago at my job when we had a spill and it worked. I''m not sure of the name of the stuff but if you ask at an industrial supply house, I''m sure they''ll be able to help you out.

VIEXILE 12-30-2003 08:06 AM

Diesel stink

Scrub down and wash with "Simple Green." Hinckley uses it, and after my diesel tank pinholed last winter and leaked fully into the bilge, it seems to have worked. ''Course, I''m probably immune to the odor now.

obiec 12-31-2003 10:33 AM

Diesel stink

My boat smells dieselaly also I am hopping to try out a ozone genrator to see if it will take the smell out. I will let you know.

DelmarRey 12-31-2003 04:12 PM

Diesel stink

Ozone generator??? I think I would check out the "caution" part of the instruction manual. Ozone is oxygen X 3. Maybe a problem here, not sure?

paulmcquillan 12-31-2003 08:44 PM

Diesel stink

We installed an ozone generator (Bilgebuster) because my wife is VERY sensitive to the smell of diesel.

Have been most happy with the results. Even clothes left below no longer pick up the scent.

After doing our homework, ozone is heavier than air, so installed it at the upper end of engine compartment. Over time it works over entire bilge. Concentration about same as mountain top according to mfg. New model has plug in ozone generator module to make any future repairs fast easy and cheap.

bmcald 01-03-2004 04:27 AM

Diesel stink

Thanks for the suggestions. The BilgeBuster looks like the most expensive solution-300-400 bucks, so I''ll try washing down with SimpleGreen. Also think I''ll try one of the auto air purifiers that plug into the cigarette lighter socket--those are under $70 or so...

paulmcquillan 01-05-2004 10:25 AM

Diesel stink

That''s the exact same cycle that we went through.

(The previous owners were not as careful keeping oil/diesel up out of the bilge).

Simple green or the orange cleaner (both marked bio-degradable at home depot) made a big improvement.

Then I tried the small 120v ionic breeze bathroom-sized model tucked down into the engine compartmet for a week. It made enough of a difference that we spent the $$ for the bilgebuster.

Never regretted spending the money ..... You may want to call the mfg direct and see if they have any specials/sales going. Ask if you can trade-in the car ionizer as a trade up to Bilgebuster. I found them very willing to work with us on buying direct, favorable to our electrician''s wholesale quote.

bmcald 01-05-2004 01:27 PM

Diesel stink

Thanks for the follow up!

If I knew the stink was the only thing keeping my wife from joining me on board more often, I''d spend top dollar in a heart beat. But it ain''t, so I''m looking to economize.

Seems the Simple Green can have an objectionable odor of its own...

Which auto unit did you buy? I''ve only found two, a very small unit not much larger than a cigarette lighter, and then a unit with a cord and a swirly brown plastic case--neither seems promising.

L124C 10-08-2009 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmcald (Post 36976)
Thanks for the follow up!

If I knew the stink was the only thing keeping my wife from joining me on board more often, I''d spend top dollar in a heart beat. But it ain''t, so I''m looking to economize.

Seems the Simple Green can have an objectionable odor of its own...

Which auto unit did you buy? I''ve only found two, a very small unit not much larger than a cigarette lighter, and then a unit with a cord and a swirly brown plastic case--neither seems promising.

Maybe a new wife is in order!:p Home Depot has inexpensive Ionizers. Here is the link for several realtively more expensive options. Quantum Pure Aire Products, LLC: MARINE PRODUCTS The site includes a review by Practical Sailor which seems fravorable (of course).