Opinions: What do YOU think is the best method of climbing your mast - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-16-2012
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough
Re: Opinions: What do YOU think is the best method of climbing your mast

At age 71, I don't climb up most things anymore--it's just not too smart. I go to the marina across the river that has a cherry picker, pay them $75 to go up there and do what needs to be done. Most marinas have cherry pickers and most charge the standard, hourly, labor rate to take care of things up the mast.

Good Luck,

Gary
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-16-2012

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough

I researched this multiple times and finally settled on tree climbing equipment and techniques. I reasoned that tree climbers really know climbing and a mast is more like a tree than a rock (wall) or cave.

Arborist's saddle (New Tribe has nice ones for fair prices) with a bag, appropriate length of arborist climbing rope (I chose Tachyon), a suitable semi-automatic belaying device (I'm getting an Edelrid Eddy), a hand ascender (I like the Heightec Pulsar), a micro-pully (I bought a CMI), some carabiners (I like DMM Ultra-O Locksafe), a Petlz CARITOOL (for hanging misc stuff off of) and a few feet of any old double-braid with which to make a pair of foot loops. Learn Single Rope Technique (SRT) for tree climbing.

I've been practicing on trees using the doubled rope technique (DRT) with a Blake's hitch and a Prussik hitch. That's a lot of work, tho. I'm not going to try to go up the mast until I get my belay device and hand ascender. Then I'll use Single Rope Technique (SRT) by hauling my climbing rope up the mast with the main halyard.

I'll be able to do it single-handed, if need be, but normally I'll have somebody manning a safety line. (One of the jib halyards.)

Even if you want to do the somebody-grinding-you-up-the-mast route, I'd still go with an arborist's saddle over a traditional bosun's chair. Much more secure. I would not recommend most rock harnesses. Arborist's saddles are much more comfortable for long hang times.

Btw: With arborist's SRT you can do a "hybrid" kind of a thing. E.g.: You can either climb or be cranked up. You can either descend on the belaying device or be lowered.

Jim
Old 05-16-2012

sebez is on a distinguished road

I used a mast mate that I borrowed from a neighbor. It worked well with the exception of the safety harness which had to be unhooked at the spreaders and then again at the top of the upper shrouds. I would have felt safer if the harness had two straps so that one was never unhooked from around the mast. I also have a bosuns chair but have not used it. i think if my anchor light goes out again I will install a new one on the solar power stantions to avoid going aloft...hey Im 57 and not afraid of hieghts but I am concerned about safety
Old 05-16-2012

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebez View Post
i think if my anchor light goes out again I will install a new one on the solar power stantions to avoid going aloft...
Technically speaking: An anchor light has to have 360 degree visibility. Hard to do that anywhere on a sailboat save the masthead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebez View Post
hey Im 57 and not afraid of hieghts but I am concerned about safety
Hey I was 59 when I started learning to climb ropes, arborist-style, two years ago. One must always pay heed to safety, but, done right, there's no reason climbing a mast need be any less safe than crossing the street.

I've only gotten to about half or two-thirds the height of our mast, in a tree, so far. Even that was a bit disquieting from time-to-time. But I never felt for a second that I was unsafe. Big, strong tree limbs. Big, strong rope. Very secure saddle in which it's even safe to invert (or so the maker claims--I don't plan to test that claim).

I'll get up that mast yet!

Jim
Old 05-16-2012
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road

My mast climbing method is fairly straightforward and simply uses halyards and a rock climbing harness (Black Diamond BOD). You can read the details here in this blog post.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-16-2012

puddinlegs is on a distinguished road

OP's a rock climber so....

Short time, and solo, climbing harness. Ascenders on a 10 or 11mm climbing rope tied with a double fisherman's to a halyard to avoid wear and tear on said halyard. back up with prusik on second halyard.

Long time, get a hoist up in a bosun's chair, hang out, get stuff done. Figure 8 on a bight, backup halyard and a trustworthy 'hoister' for the hoistee.
Old 05-16-2012
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough

Climbing harness (big wall is more comfortable), two ascenders, gri gri for descending and fall arrest, dedicated climbing rope tied (double 8) to main halyard. I'll have someone winch me up if they are available and know what they're doing.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 05-16-2012
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road

Climbing harness.
Old 05-16-2012

Bradhamlet is on a distinguished road

MY dock mate had mast steps but didn't like the free fall feeling it gave him. I don't know if he would use some sort of safety system or just go straight up. I have the top climber and have used it many times. I like it. I like the safety of it all, and the fact I can use it by myself.
Brad
Old 05-16-2012
Superior Sailor

Squidd is on a distinguished road

I can't wait to climb my mast....

I have a bosuns chair, and ratcheting block with enough line and additional tackle to do a 3:1 if not 4:1 so I can pull myself up with someone tailing (winch) the trailing end for safety...

I hope that works...

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.