Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-15-2012
S/V Lilo, Islander 32

IslanderGuy is on a distinguished road
Brait Anchor Rode

Hi, I'm in the market for new anchor rode, and looking around I found a type I had not seen before...

Anchor Rode, Brait single braid nylon. 5/8" x 300' . Yale Cordage Brait absorbs 75% more energy than 3 strand nylon while using 60% less storage space. Brait absorbs more energy than any other line and cannot hockle.

Rope Anchor Line 5/8""X300' Nylon Brait HD Stainless Steel Thimble

Has anyone used this? Seen any reviews? I like the 60% less storage space as I have a 32 foot boat for four of us, and it sounds like it might be a bit stronger too (or at least more energy absorbing).

It is a bit more expensive, and I'm weighing the benefits against the cost on something I could easily loose or damage.

Any thoughts on this type of line are welcome!

Thanks,
Bryan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-15-2012

norsearayder is on a distinguished road
Re: Brait Anchor Rode

i have that rope from defender,half inch,it does store well,flattens out,havent really used it because i have150 of chain in front of it.i just use the chain with a snuber shock lenth of 12 foot.the only problem mite be abrasion because it has no sleeve,not for everyone imho
Old 05-16-2012
S/V Lilo, Islander 32

Thanks for the replies. While I can see the energy absorption not mattering that much, the storage size seems to be legit. Due to the loose braid on the rope, it can fold down a lot more then standard 3 strand or double braid. Essentially the actual mass is the same, but there is less wasted air space. Pic below that demonstrates what they mean. I also found may major manufacturers such as New England make a version, sometimes called Plait, but seems to be the same idea.

I'm a bit concerned about the loose braid though for continual use. It feels like it would catch more on any small protrusion, and trap more mud or junk inside when used. I have nothing to back that up as I haven't ever even touched one so I'd be interested in hearing from someone who uses one regularly.

For now I'll likely stick to 3 strand, but might consider this for the backup anchor as it would store nicer out of the way when not needed. Currently I just hate the thought of paying 1/3 more for something I'm going to dump in the water and drag over rocks which seems more susceptible to damage from that sort of treatment.

Last edited by IslanderGuy; 05-16-2012 at 12:51 AM.
Old 05-16-2012

RedHorizon is on a distinguished road

I have this as my primary anchor line with 15 ft of chain. Seemed the 3 strand was always getting all twisted up in the anchor locker. This stuff lays flat, pays out easily and so far (1 season) has held up well. I've heard that chafe is a concern and the soft hand of the line can lead to it picking and pulling small little sections of the fibers out. So far, we havent seen any of these issues, and I dont think the rode picks up any more of the Chesapeake mud than 3 strand.
Old 05-16-2012

Hudsonian is on a distinguished road

I use Yale brait as a pennant on my mooring which is in an exposed location. The brait seems to put less shock load on the mooring and cleats than siimilarly sized three-strand nylon pennant. Base upon this and the easier storage I'll probably replace one of my one anchor rodes with brait.

Downside: It was a bear to splice. I ended up with tennis elbow.
Old 05-16-2012

cbsura is on a distinguished road
Brait Anchor Rode

Here's a related question. Does anyone know whether plait might work better in a windlass? My gypsy works fine on the chain but 3 strand rode slips.
Old 05-16-2012
Maine Member

BELLATRIX1965 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbsura View Post
Here's a related question. Does anyone know whether plait might work better in a windlass? My gypsy works fine on the chain but 3 strand rode slips.
I have been using 5/8" Brait (in series with 30 feet of chain) as my primary anchor rode for 3 years now - and I LIKE it! Don't know about the energy absorption claims, but it flakes nicely into the locker - I have never had it hockle up, ever. Installing a new LEWMAR V3 windlass right now, and this line supposedly works well in their gypsy - makes sense, as the form of the rope is "rounder" than regular 3-strand. We'll see. . . .
Old 05-18-2012
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslanderGuy View Post
Hi, I'm in the market for new anchor rode, and looking around I found a type I had not seen before...

Anchor Rode, Brait single braid nylon. 5/8" x 300' . Yale Cordage Brait absorbs 75% more energy than 3 strand nylon while using 60% less storage space. Brait absorbs more energy than any other line and cannot hockle.

Rope Anchor Line 5/8""X300' Nylon Brait HD Stainless Steel Thimble

Has anyone used this? Seen any reviews? I like the 60% less storage space as I have a 32 foot boat for four of us, and it sounds like it might be a bit stronger too (or at least more energy absorbing).

It is a bit more expensive, and I'm weighing the benefits against the cost on something I could easily loose or damage.

Any thoughts on this type of line are welcome!

Thanks,
Bryan
Yes I have this rope for my secondary bow anchor and I LOVE it (primary is all chain). It's much better behaved than 3 strand. The best way I can describe it is that it just "falls" down the hawspipe into a nice pile just like chain does. Three strand, especially once it get salted and over worked, likes to be stiff, hockle, and will refuse to go down the pipe and lay down.

After using this stuff I will NEVER go back to 3 strand. In fact, I have 450ft of 1/2" 3 strand in my shed that I won't put aboard for the stern anchor. Instead I'm going to buy more of the 8plat brait rope (when I have the money) for the stern anchor. I don't know the percentages of space taken, but it does fall into a tight heap and takes up much less space than three strand.

I don't have a dynamometer, nor any experience to guesstimate "absorption" of either type of rope, so I won't comment on that claimed advantage.

MedSailor

PS It's much cheaper at Defender and they'll splice for you as well. I bought mine from defender:
http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?...1170&id=675074

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MedSailor; 05-18-2012 at 04:16 AM.
Old 05-18-2012
S/V Lilo, Islander 32

Thanks to all for sharing your experience with this! Very helpful info.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.