SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   looking for new GPS (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/8745-looking-new-gps.html)

dougship 12-26-2003 10:38 AM

looking for new GPS

looking for GPS for coastal cruising (pacific) and possible pacific ocean cruising. looking to spend under $1,000. any thoughts on latest and greatest technology for that amount? will be mounted on 34'' sailboat. all comments welcome. Thx!

WHOOSH 12-26-2003 08:33 PM

looking for new GPS

Doug, why wouldn''t you just consider spending $500 by installing a nav station (non-plotter) fixed unit with external antenna, buying a handheld unit as a back-up (same mfgr...so same user interface and with the NMEA wiring you install then working equally well with both units) and saving the rest of your money?

Jack

mcain 12-27-2003 06:58 AM

looking for new GPS

I like it. Garmin 162 fixed mount with external antenna (decent sized display, will accept blue charts if you want, has a nice GPS data display and tides), with Garmin GPSMAP 76 (or 76S) will accept same blue chart and similar technology. You get redundancy, same manufacturer (so similar user interface) and still under $1K. About $350 for the 162 and 300-400 for 76, depending on model.

tospappy 12-31-2003 06:03 PM

looking for new GPS

I recently purchase a brand new Icom 360ml chartplotter on ebay for less than 200. It seems to be working well. There are currently a number of them up for auction by boatus starting at 24.95, but the bidding ends around 225.00. The unit accepts navionics charts including the xl. The readout is pretty clear and the functions are great. Check it out. I use a Garmin 12 for backup.

Also, there are other 360ml on ebay by others, not boatus, but their auctions start around 299. Go figure.

tjr3c 12-31-2003 07:42 PM

looking for new GPS

Dougship,
The garmin gpsmap 182 is a good value. It has a large screen and more pixels that the 162. It has more memory that the 162 also, so you can be sure that your "Bluechart" chip or CD information will fit. In fact, the 162 can''t even take a chip. The 182 comes in a color version too, but that isn''t necessary. You can get the b/w unit and an external or internal antenna plus the Bluechart maps for under $1000. Tim

newsome 02-22-2004 04:16 AM

looking for new GPS

I purchased an ICOM 360ML from BoatUS and love it. Used it last summer to cruise 600nm up the coast of Nova Scotia. A wonderful unit.

I have noted only two things I dislike... sometimes the unit resets itself when it is right on the border between two different chart scales, you just have to wait a few minutes to get out of the "border area" between the two chart scales"

The second thing I dislike is that ICOM has shutdown manufacture and support for the unit. The don''t even list it on their web pages, which is totally unusual for the company since they have a great record of supporting their gear and posting all their manuals etc. online. I''m particularly peaved because I lost my operation manual... if anyone has one I''d love to get a copy.