Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 12-27-2003

Trami is on a distinguished road
Lifelines

Why not use stainless steel tubing rails as lifelines instead of wire? Is there a good reason or is cost the main factor? Thanks, Kyle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-27-2003

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Lifelines

I have heard several arguements for and against wire. The current thinking for offshore use as published by the ORC favors uncoated wire. The logic behind wire is that it is more able to withstand and absorb impact without inflicting injury. Other issues is that tubing can lose a lot of strength when welded or accidentally bent.

That said,there seems to be a new phenomina of people rigging solid rails. I don''t get it. Solid rails has never appealed to me both for the reasons above plus the added weight of solid rails.

Jeff
Old 12-27-2003

WHOOSH is on a distinguished road
Lifelines

Jeff:

"...there seems to be a new phenomina of people rigging solid rails. I don''t get it. Solid rails has never appealed to me both for the reasons above plus the added weight of solid rails."

I think the Westsail 32 in the next basin offers the explanation you seek. Using the existing stern pulpit and stanchions, they added a top rail inbetween on each side. The difference in one''s ability to exit/enter that cockpit seems to me to be siginficantly enhanced: the rail doesn''t give as does wire and is easier to use as one of your handholds. They found it worked a lot better offshore, moreso as boat movement increased. The added weight (5-6# for 2 x 6'' x 1" s/s tubes + fittings?) is insignificant, especially so on a boat of that type.

Mindful of the new weak links (the fittings; there are no welds involved), they left the top lifeline in place. Since I find W32 cockpits to be about as ergonomically unsuitable offshore as one can get, I found this to be a welcome if small improvement.

Jack
Old 12-28-2003

Lifelines

Thanks JeffH and Jack for your response and insight. I appericiate your opinions and was hoping "you regulars" would offer an answer. I have a 47'' Formosa/Puvieux ketch that I''ve just purchased. Currently rigged with vinyl coated lifelines(that need to be replaced). It seems to me that when walking the deck there would be a more secure hand hold with stainless tubing. I personally have not seen many sailboats rigged with SS tubing, but I have seen alot of power boats rigged this way.Thanks again for you response.

Kyle
Old 12-29-2003

h37skipper is on a distinguished road
Lifelines

Do not like your supposition. Replacing the wire lifelines with s/s tubing, in my opinion, is false security. I have seen very few stanchions that will support much of an impact. Depending upon stainless tubing tied to weak stanchions is not a good idea. Use your jacklines and harness if you feel insecure with wire lifelines.
Old 12-29-2003

jbanta is on a distinguished road
Lifelines

Use your harness and jacklines even if you don''t feel insecure. Lifelines are more for show than to really do much to keep you onboard.

Jim
Aboard the Argo
Old 12-29-2003

Lifelines

Interesting arguments. Jacklines are always a good practice.Thanks for your responses. More opinions are welcome.

Kyle
Old 12-30-2003

hamiam is on a distinguished road
Lifelines

Typically, lifelines are placed too low. As such, they have little to no value in keeping you aboard. Personally, I would not invest too much time, money, energy, or faith in a new life line system. A harness, tethers, and jacklines are a better system.
Old 12-30-2003

928frenzy is on a distinguished road
Lifelines

The last time we went out, I grabbed the upper lifeline just in time to keep from falling overboard. I think they help, and that''s my $0.02.

~ Happy sailing to you ~ _/) ~
Old 12-30-2003

jbanta is on a distinguished road
Lifelines

I would n''t say they don''t "help" butthat was a good lesson for you to harnes up and use jacklines especially when sailing alone...

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.