Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-20-2012
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Inflatable PFDs in the south: Manual or Automatic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITBeta View Post
I wonder how much of this has to do with proper fit (tensioning of straps) and use of crotch straps. From what I understand, most PFDs, of any type, won't keep you from drowning indefinitely without proper fit and crotch strap. I paid the extra money for the option crotch strap on my Mustang auto inflate.
Proper fit appears to be extremely important. In the book I referenced above they cited a Coast Guard investigation into a drowinging of a man who was a good swimmer, wearing a vest in calm water. Apparently he was a rather large fellow and used a chain to lengthen an attaching strap and because of that the lifejacket boyancy was in the wrong place and he likely drowened fighting the jacket's tendancy to turn him face down into the water.

Inflatabels (automatic or manual) are all the rage, but I've found that for much of the sailing season here in the PNW, the foam vests offer some much needed (and very effective insulation). I do llike my inflatable because it has a built-in harness, and it's easier to wear in the summer but for many months of the year the foam vest is the more useful one for me.

Foam jacket type vests (type I or III) also have the advantate of providing physical protection against blunt trauma. I often hear of broken ribs while sailing, especially crossing oceans while racing. I suspect this is from harnesses that have no shock absorption (credit here to pdqaltair our member who is active in researching this area) but they could also be from falling onto a deckhouse or winch. The foam jacket provides some armor against those brusies, and would also protect the ribs from the impact of the harness itself if you were to take a fall.

Having said that I prefer my manual inflatable and my good quality foam vest types, I will also put in a pitch for cases where the auto inflate could be useful. I think they could be a very handy item to hand out to guests that sail aboard your boat. A non-boater might not be able to find the toggle to pull to inflate when they go overboard, and they might not want to wear a bulky jacket as an alternative. Of course buying an auto-inflate PFD "just" for the guests is an expensive proposition....

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-20-2012

Capt Len is on a distinguished road
Re: Inflatable PFDs in the south: Manual or Automatic?

The auto inflates simply make it so much easier to find the body. More likely to be wearing it because it's comfortable and the harness is a must for retrieval by helicopter If it didn't inflate automatic it's not bright yellow and it's a big ocean.Compare the buoyancy of foam vest to the inflated vest for trade off. I have 8 Mustang harness self inflating on board and peace of mind far outweighs the expense .It's the 20 adult and 5 child lifejackets that take up at lot a cupboard space.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook