Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By svHyLyte

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2012

rhr1956 is on a distinguished road
Glue, screw or rivet spinnaker pole ends?

I'm ready to attach the end fittings to the aluminum pole. There is a label on the fittings that say "Use machine screws only for attachment to pole". On the website (forespar) they have pole kits which include epoxy for attachment of end fittings. Not really sure why it makes much difference. Originally I planned to epoxy the fittings to the pole and follow up with three aluminun pop rivets. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-18-2012
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Re: Glue, screw or rivet spinnaker pole ends?

Considering that you might need to replace the tube at some point if its damaged, or a damaged end fitting without harming the tube itself, it would be wise to use machine screws with a little TefGel applied to the threads. Someday you, or a subsequent owner, will be glad you did.

FWIW...
rugosa likes this.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 05-18-2012

DrB will become famous soon enough

Mehanical Fasteners for Alumnim spars, Epoxy for Composite.
Old 05-18-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

As HyLyte said. Because spinnaker poles are often broken, and being able to re-use the ends really cuts replacement costs. You could epoxy the ends and then use heat to break them free--but that would probably detemper the metal and ruin them, bad idea.

So, machine screws or pop rivets. A lot of commercial poles have used pop rivets. If you use machine screws, no big deal, a machine shop should be able to tap and drill the six? holes you need for a couple of bucks per hole, maybe $20-30 for the whole job. In which case I'd use LocTite on those screws.
Old 05-19-2012

rhr1956 is on a distinguished road

Just curious...how do spinnaker poles typically get broken? I can see them getting dented, but broken??
Old 05-19-2012

rugosa is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhr1956 View Post
Just curious...how do spinnaker poles typically get broken? I can see them getting dented, but broken??
When the poop hits the fan.

Potential to remove for casting failure, dented/bent tube, replacement of internal lines if whisker pole. BTW non-marine rivets they will rust, drill 'n tap makes for easy service
Old 05-19-2012

overbored is on a distinguished road

depends on the end casting size if it is thick then you will have to use screws as the rivets may not be long enough to go all the way through and hold good. on the smaller poles rivets are ok. pop rivets are hollow and not as strong as screws. If you did have to replace any part the rivets are easier to drill out then remove old screws that are corroded in the aluminum. if you seal the end to keep water out some of the poles will float if lost overboard. I have one that is riveted with ss pop rivets and sealed with silicone. my carbon one is epoxied in place. if you do use screws you should use flat head type as the round heads take out big chips of gelcoat or paint when they hit the deck or rail
Old 05-19-2012
Catboat

Spyder is on a distinguished road

Please use 1/4-20 machine screws. Two years ago I had pop rivets on the 24' boom on a 23' boat(gaff rig) fail spectacularly. The aft end of the boom shot skyward then passed between the port stays and the mast on its way to becoming a new bowsprit. We're lucky no one was killed! a Spinnaker pole isn't much different.
Old 05-19-2012

olson34 is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Positive Floatation note

Quote:
Originally Posted by overbored View Post
depends on the end casting size if it is thick then you will have to use screws as the rivets may not be long enough to go all the way through and hold good. on the smaller poles rivets are ok. pop rivets are hollow and not as strong as screws. If you did have to replace any part the rivets are easier to drill out then remove old screws that are corroded in the aluminum. if you seal the end to keep water out some of the poles will float if lost overboard. I have one that is riveted with ss pop rivets and sealed with silicone. my carbon one is epoxied in place. if you do use screws you should use flat head type as the round heads take out big chips of gelcoat or paint when they hit the deck or rail
Good idea to plan for the day when things get a little sporty during the takedown and the pole goes over the side. Seen it happen. what with rivet holes and etc they sink faster than you might imagine. This will only happen when you are in winds over 15 and seas over 2', and control over the outcome of sail change and course change is uncertain for a little while.
Excited utterances may be involved, also.

I have filled the pole on our present boat and on the boat prior to this one with foam "peanuts" before attaching the ends. Of course neither of those poles has yet to go OB....

LB