Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-20-2012

Controlled Jibe is on a distinguished road
Campbell Anchor Chain...Yay or Nay

After lots of research, I can find no solid conclusion on whether or not Campbell brand chain is a good choice for anchor rode. I've read all the threads, and the general consensus seems to be "buy American," but all conversations tend to point to Acco with no mention of Campbell (made in America, owned by Apex Tool Group, apparently). We're looking at the 5/16" High Test, grade 43, Hot Galvanized. I can get this Campbell chain at the local Lowe's for $2.68/ft, which seems too cheap, and the sticker on the bucket says "Farm and Ag Use," which scares me a bit as well.

Any experience on the quality of galvanizing, the thickness of galvanizing compared to, say, Acco, or actual experience with Campbell chain?

Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cruising until the money runs out or the golden retriever mutinies
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-20-2012
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Campbell Anchor Chain...Yay or Nay

I can't remember who made the chains I've used, but I have ensured that they were made in the USA. My dad was a metalurgist and used to supervise factories all over the world. There are parts to the process of working metal that can easily be omitted, but really shouldn't. He never had a high opinion of the metalworking that was coming out of China.

If Campbell chain is US made, I'd say go for it.

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
Old 05-20-2012

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

The thing that would worry me, is that chain is rated to around 2800 lbs breaking strength, vs some chains being upwards of 9000 lbs for 1/4" sizing. Sorry, did not look at the 5/16" size, as the 1/4 is what I am looking for.

Not sure what I have currently for anchor chain, as it came with the boat. I have used Campbell as fastening chain for many years holding a bobcat and trackhoe to my equipment trailer. But that low breaking strength of the 1/4" would sway me any how to look at another brand or type from campbell frankly.

marty
Old 05-20-2012

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough

If it is for a windlass make sure it is calibrated whichever brand you buy.
Old 05-22-2012
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
The thing that would worry me, is that chain is rated to around 2800 lbs breaking strength, vs some chains being upwards of 9000 lbs for 1/4" sizing. Sorry, did not look at the 5/16" size, as the 1/4 is what I am looking for.

Not sure what I have currently for anchor chain, as it came with the boat. I have used Campbell as fastening chain for many years holding a bobcat and trackhoe to my equipment trailer. But that low breaking strength of the 1/4" would sway me any how to look at another brand or type from campbell frankly.

marty
Check and see if those breaking strengths are actually working loads. If I remember correctly working load limit (WLL) is exactly 1/5 of breaking strength.

MedSailor

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
Old 05-22-2012

MastUndSchotbruch is on a distinguished road

Is it anchor chain, or is it farm and agricultural use chain? There is likely a reason (different alloy comes to mind) for the difference. Do you really want to be a beta-tester, using farm chain for anchoring?

Bacon Sails has 5/16" Hi-Test (G4) anchor chain for 3.60.- a foot. I could not find a brand name but I have bought chain from them previously and it was Acco.

Less than a dollar difference per foot is not worth the risk for something as safety-relevant as anchor chain.
Old 05-22-2012

Controlled Jibe is on a distinguished road

I'd be stoked to spend $3.60/ft also, and would gladly spend the extra dollar to know for sure that it was the good stuff and that I wasn't a beta tester. It was the $6-$7/ft in some of the chandleries was a bit scary, but that's still cheaper than a new boat.

blt2ski- I think the WLL of the 5/16 hi test was 3900, breaking strength being much higher as medsailor indicated.

I'm looking at the bucket of chain in the middle of Montana, so the "farm/ag" sticker may be localized marketing...not sure

Cruising until the money runs out or the golden retriever mutinies
Old 05-23-2012

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

There are some different grade chains that I noticed in a WM catalog. A 43 HTT which is lower in strength than a 40, which is lower in strength than a 70 IIRC the numbers I was looking at. The 70 had about twice the strength of 43. 40 was in the middle to 60% higher strength than 43.

Real issues I see, are does this chain fit a windlass if using one. Other than that, many companies sell the same item to different users, aiming the advertising at that user. The ag chain may be equal to marine chain, assuming the same grade strength etc. Most chains have vertical strength lift capacity, and a horizontal pull capacity. issue is, figuring out which number the placard on the chain box is using!

Marty