Not a Member? 

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2012

curtcee is on a distinguished road
Re: Economical Hand-Held Chartplotter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritchard View Post
We have no data plan - it's not necessary. Unlike apps like MotionX-GPS, the complete charts are downloaded to the device when you purchase them. It needs no data feed after the fact.

However, you *MUST* purchase the correct iPad with the full-function GPS chip, as my friend found out recently. He was quite taken with the chartplotter function of the iPad on my boat, and went out and boat an iPad 3. The lesser models ( I am not sure which) will not work as a standalone GPS unit. He had to shell out the $100 he saved on the cheaper iPad on a bluetooth GPS puck.

I brought my boat from Cleveland Ohio to Toronto Ontario late last summer. All of the charts for the trip - plus the rest of the Great Lakes and some of the St Lawrence and the Erie Canal system cost me $35. I think the app itself is free? (Yes of course I had paper chart backups). We already owned the iPad, so how's that for economical?
Okay, thanks for the post. That clears up a lot.

Curtis
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-22-2012

curtcee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewportNewbie View Post
I'll start a new iPad thread. Maybe we should be putting these posts there as its not quite what the OP was looking for and this info which is great for those looking for it may get lost in this thread. I wasn't looking to starting an apple vs the world thread. Lol.
If you do start a new thread, for those of us who are willfully ignorant, I'd like to see why anyone should choose an Ipad for a chartplotter over an Android tablet for a chartplotter. But if it's going to start another war, maybe you should just private message me.

Curtis
Old 05-22-2012
Nearly an Old Salt

goboatingnow is on a distinguished road

Quote:
However, you *MUST* purchase the correct iPad with the full-function GPS chip, as my friend found out recently. He was quite taken with the chartplotter function of the iPad on my boat, and went out and boat an iPad 3. The lesser models ( I am not sure which) will not work as a standalone GPS unit. He had to shell out the $100 he saved on the cheaper iPad on a bluetooth GPS puck.
This is incorrect as it suggests there is a less then functional GPS model.

Folks its simple, The 3G iPad has a GPS receiver, the non 3G ( i.e. wifi only ) has no GPS chipset.

The GPS is assisted GPS, that means the first fix time is accelerated buy using cell tower triangulation as well as the emphermis data is accessed if possible over 3G rather the downloaded from the sat. But in the absence of 3G, The GPS chip will work as normal GPS does.

see simples
Old 05-22-2012
Nearly an Old Salt

goboatingnow is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritchard View Post
I have Transas iSailor on the iPad. I got iSailor when I got the boat. I just looked at what was on the iTunes store at the time, compared the cost of the software and the charts against the apparent (fingers crossed) capabilities of the software. I picked okay. I have been really pleased with the software, but it is clearly a work in progress as they are adding features with each release. One feature it lacks, but is promised, is Active Captain integration. This would be a cool overlay feature, but would of course require Data, whether Wifi or Cellular.

I have MotionX on the iPhone, but not the iPad - I don't get it, is there a way to store maps/charts? Once I am out of cell data range, the thing is pretty useless. Edit: Nevermind this last bit. All this talk, I just figured out how to download NOAA charts in MotionX.
MotionX caches charts, you need to load all you need before going out of cell range
Old 05-22-2012

MarkCK is on a distinguished road

After skimming through the iwars here I figured I would get on the bandwagon of highjacking this thread. Will these apps work on an iphone 4, and can I download the free noaa charts. And if I do all this will the screen be to small anyway to be worth doing?
Old 05-22-2012

NewportNewbie is on a distinguished road

Curtcee...Android vs iPhone is simply the availability of apps and the quality. Apple does approve all iPad apps, so there is a bit of quality control. Also its guaranteed not to try and mine your device for your personal info and send it to China...that has happened in Android apps.

MarkCK...I use my iPhone 4s as a backup. Its fine and works ok...the screen is the limiting factor. Because I don't have a waterproof case yet for the iPad, I use the iPhone in bad weather. I have a waterproof case for the iPhone. I use the Lifeproof case. You can get them from Bestbuy and its a very solid case.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-22-2012

MarkCK is on a distinguished road

People have been debating back and forth on what works best. Can you give me a brief "how to" to make this all work? What to download first and then how to load the charts. Preferably the free ones. And will the charts work on inland lakes also?
Old 05-22-2012
No more curry buffets

Ritchard is on a distinguished road

MarkCK, you might start with iSailor on the iphone. It's free, and you can download and play with a few free charts, then if you like it, buy the charts for your area. If you're in the US, each region is cheap. I'm in Canada, and the charts are more expensive here. You download the charts from within the app. It's in the setup menu, and really easy.

Alternately, you can try InavX. It's $49.99 but the NOAA charts are all free from them.

Were it me, I'd go with door number 1, and see if you're okay with the screen size, etc.
Old 05-23-2012

LinekinBayCD is on a distinguished road

I love my iPad for surfing and email while traveling but it is lame as a chart plotter. Bad screen in sunlight and not water proof. Waterproof cases make the touch screen much less responsive. Garmin has the largest variety of handhelds by far, you should be able to find one that fits you needs plus it is easy to transfer your waypoints and routes between units.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.