SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Hazy/Streaky Portlights

3K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  McGinnis 
#1 ·
The portlights on my Pearson 26 are hazy/ have hazy steaks in them. It doesn't appear to be on either exterior surface of the portlights but rather on the inside. I believe they are acrylic but am not sure. What is a good way to clean hazy portlights to make them clear again (or as clear as possible)?

So far I've read:
Use toothpaste (seriously)
Use automotive headlight cleaner
Use some sort of baking soda compound

Thoughts? What's the best way of going about this?

#3 ·
I have improved the look and clarity of our old acrylic portlights using Flitz metal/plastic polish. It doesn't last forever, so I suspect you aren't really "polishing" the plastic but smoothing out the haze by filling in small pores somehow. Anyway, it improves them enough to keep me from thinking I need to replace them, which is a good thing! :)

#5 ·
I tried the Novus 3, 2, 1 system with mediocre results. Then for some reason I tried a razor blade in one of those handheld plastic holders. Pushing the blade at a low angle across the surface seemed to remove a layer of "dead" material, almost like a peeling sunburn.
Might be worth a shot.

#6 ·
Then for some reason I tried a razor blade in one of those handheld plastic holders. Pushing the blade at a low angle across the surface seemed to remove a layer of "dead" material, almost like a peeling sunburn.
Might be worth a shot.
What were your results with the razor blade method? Was it even? Leftover scratches? Happy with the results?

#11 ·
Report:
Bought a little bottle of 3M plastic restorer from WM and it worked wonders. Took all of 1 min to do two windows. I'd suggest trying that first then f necessary resort to other options. Thanks for all the help!

#12 ·
I bought a bottle of Meguiar's PlastX plastic cleaner and polish yesterday. I applied it to my yucky old portlights with a microfibre rag, and rubbed it in well, on the inside and outside, then polished with a clean microfibre rag. For phase two, I reapplied it liberally to the outside again, and polished with a cotton wheel in my drill. They came out WAY better, but still could use some additional clarity. I have been thinking of removing them entirely and wetsanding them with a sequence of papers.

One au naturel

one after two phases of polish

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.