SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Hazy/Streaky Portlights (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/87655-hazy-streaky-portlights.html)

kjones 05-21-2012 11:47 PM

Hazy/Streaky Portlights

The portlights on my Pearson 26 are hazy/ have hazy steaks in them. It doesn't appear to be on either exterior surface of the portlights but rather on the inside. I believe they are acrylic but am not sure. What is a good way to clean hazy portlights to make them clear again (or as clear as possible)?

So far I've read:
Use toothpaste (seriously)
Use automotive headlight cleaner
Use some sort of baking soda compound

Thoughts? What's the best way of going about this?

jjablonowski 05-22-2012 10:24 AM

Re: Hazy/Streaky Portlights

I used a buffing wheel on a benchtop grinder with polishing-compound stick.

Came out okay but a bit uneven; took a lot of fussing.

arf145 05-22-2012 12:00 PM

I have improved the look and clarity of our old acrylic portlights using Flitz metal/plastic polish. It doesn't last forever, so I suspect you aren't really "polishing" the plastic but smoothing out the haze by filling in small pores somehow. Anyway, it improves them enough to keep me from thinking I need to replace them, which is a good thing! :)

kwaltersmi 05-22-2012 01:23 PM

I've used Meguiar's PlastX clear plastic cleaner and polish on mine with some success. They aren't perfect, but better than before applying the polish.

BigZ 05-22-2012 09:44 PM

I tried the Novus 3, 2, 1 system with mediocre results. Then for some reason I tried a razor blade in one of those handheld plastic holders. Pushing the blade at a low angle across the surface seemed to remove a layer of "dead" material, almost like a peeling sunburn.
Might be worth a shot.

arf145 05-23-2012 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigZ (Post 874272)
Then for some reason I tried a razor blade in one of those handheld plastic holders. Pushing the blade at a low angle across the surface seemed to remove a layer of "dead" material, almost like a peeling sunburn.
Might be worth a shot.

What were your results with the razor blade method? Was it even? Leftover scratches? Happy with the results?

jimq26 05-23-2012 12:38 PM

Try 303 Protectant. Amazing results!

BigZ 05-23-2012 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arf145 (Post 874574)
What were your results with the razor blade method? Was it even? Leftover scratches? Happy with the results?

Very happy. It seemed to just remove the dead, very thin layer. No gouges or scratches from the razor.

kjones 05-23-2012 11:47 PM

thanks all! I'm going to give one or all of these a try over the weekend and I'll let you know how it goes.

Ritchard 05-24-2012 10:11 AM

Please report back, mine are looking really scruffy, and want some attention.