Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-27-2012

Michael1 is on a distinguished road
Looking for Beachable, Fast Dinghy for 4 People

I would like to find a dinghy for navigating around the Channel Islands in Southern California with the following features:

* Beachable and not damaged by rocky shore.
* Easily planes and maintains good speed with four people on board, including into headwinds and waves.

RIBs - I keep reading about people repairing fiberglass damage caused by beaching on rocks.

Inflatables - Tried that, and with four people, the thing bogged down to a crawl, even with max hp. I seems inflatables just end up plowing too much water. At higher speeds with just one person, the flexibility made it a bit unstable.

I'm out of ideas, and tired of these slow dinghies. It turns a site seeing tour into an expedition. Any help would be appreciated.

Michael
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-27-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road
Re: Looking for Beachable, Fast Dinghy for 4 People

12 foot, high freeboard (or deep) Livingston.
Old 05-27-2012

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Michael, it sounds like you want a military-grade assault RIB or something with a steel bottom, and I suspect you wouldn't be willing to pay for it if you could find one.

It is all well and good to want something, but first ask yourself if it exists.

There are plenty of inflateables that will not hog when loaded. That will plane when four people are on board, assuming the right engine and putting the people in the right balance. They'll bounce off rocks about as well as anything else, but NOTHING can be repeatedly slammed into rocks without taking some damage.

Pulled up on a gravel shore? No problem. Pounding into rocks? Nice concept, that's a piton, not a boat.

Sometimes you just have to realize the limits of engineering and budget, and understand that there often IS no suitable place to bring a dinghy ashore.
Old 05-27-2012
Warm Weather Sailor

Vasco is on a distinguished road

Aluminum bottom AB RIB. Check out the 15 ft. model originally designed for the Venezuelan navy.

"The marine grade aluminum hulls enable us to build tougher, lighter inflatables that are perfect for use on lakes, rivers and rocky coastlines, where the aluminum bottoms are more resistant to abrasions from rocky shores, coral and sandy beaches than fiberglass hulls."

AB inflatables - Models

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Vasco; 05-27-2012 at 02:56 PM.
Old 05-27-2012

tomhuntdmd is on a distinguished road

We have a 10' AquaPro with and aluminum bottom. Planes with 2 people with an 8 horse 2 stroke Johnson. For 4 people, you will need more HP. AquaPro is apparently made in New Zealand and imported to the US. One dealer is Ballard Inflatable Boats: Aquapro . We are very happy with ours, after 12 years in still holds air well. Sometimes we tow it, but most of the time we carry it on our Garhauer davitts. Offshore in heavy weather it is placed upside down on the bow. We have a wheel kit for it too, but have hardly used that. I think Aluminum is lighter than fiberglass and much more durable. Still can be repaired with appropriate welding.
Old 05-27-2012

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about

I hear you can use a Catalina for that (are you still out there CD ?)

WindPath Fractional Yachting Boat Club: Talk about a well balanced Catalina sailboat!

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Michael, it sounds like you want a military-grade assault RIB or something with a steel bottom, and I suspect you wouldn't be willing to pay for it if you could find one.

It is all well and good to want something, but first ask yourself if it exists.

There are plenty of inflateables that will not hog when loaded. That will plane when four people are on board, assuming the right engine and putting the people in the right balance. They'll bounce off rocks about as well as anything else, but NOTHING can be repeatedly slammed into rocks without taking some damage.

Pulled up on a gravel shore? No problem. Pounding into rocks? Nice concept, that's a piton, not a boat.

Sometimes you just have to realize the limits of engineering and budget, and understand that there often IS no suitable place to bring a dinghy ashore.
I am not sure what you mean "first ask yourself if it exists". Isn't that the purpose of the forum?

I think I gave you the wrong impression. I'm not trying to beach the thing into a rocky shore at full throttle like I am coming in for the Battle of Normandy. I just want to glide into a rocky area and pull it up on shore without tearing or gouging it like you would with fiberglass, or the fiberglass bottom dinghy I saw someone come in with, punch a hole in, and sink.

If there are "plenty of inflatables" that don't bog down with 4 people, please give me some ideas.

Thanks.

Michael

Last edited by Michael1; 05-27-2012 at 11:26 PM.
Old 05-27-2012

Vasco and tomhuntdmd,

Thanks for the suggestions on the aluminum bottom RIBs. I was not aware of those. Great idea! I'll check them out further.

Michael