What's this called, and where can I get a thumbscrew to replace the screw? - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By tap

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2012

DanielF is on a distinguished road
What's this called, and where can I get a thumbscrew to replace the screw?

No picking on me here...I'm new. What's the name of this piece of hardware, and can I replace just the screw part, which requires a screwdriver to remove, with a thumbscrew or quick release version (like on a Hobie) so I can easily remove my mainsheet block when the boat is not in use? Quarter for size reference.
Attached Thumbnails
What's this called, and where can I get a thumbscrew to replace the screw?-dsc_2423.jpg  
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-28-2012

rugosa is on a distinguished road
Re: What's this called, and where can I get a thumbscrew to replace the screw?

It's a "D" shackle, you might be able to replace it with a swivel snap shackle like these Schaefer Marine Hardware - Product Catalog , depending on pin diameter. There are other brands to choose from like Harken ($$$), Barlow ($), Garhaur ($?), Lewmar ($$) - all with different weight load classes. A local chandlery should be able to help you.
Old 05-28-2012

johnnykeylargo is on a distinguished road

That looks like either a 3/8 or 1/4" shackle, available at your local Home Depot for about 3 bucks...with "thumbscrew."
Old 05-28-2012
72 C&C Corvette

CorvetteGuy is on a distinguished road

Can be found at any local marine store, make sure its stainless steel 10 bucks or less
Old 05-28-2012

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road

Just get a key pin halyard shackle.

Headboard Shackle
Old 05-29-2012

Stumble is on a distinguished road

Anything at Lowes, Home Depo, or Ace is almost unrated to rust and leave stains all over your deck. When looking for boat hardware always carry a magnet with you. Anything that is magnetic is mild steel and has no place on a boat, non-magnetic means 316 stainless which won't corrode in salt environments.

If you can find them for sale in the right size you are looking for a shackle pin. Though typically you have to just replace the whole shackle.
Old 05-29-2012

johnnykeylargo is on a distinguished road

Not to negate your mild steel point, and I can't speak to the 316 aspect, but both Home Depot and Lowes carry several sizes of stainless steel shackles that also pass the magnet test.

530 lb. 3/16 in. Stainless-Steel Anchor Shackle-7410-6 at The Home Depot
Old 05-29-2012

Stumble is on a distinguished road

Hmm, well then your Lowes is better stocked than mine. If its stamped 316 its obviously fine. I have just never seen it there.
Old 05-29-2012

tap is on a distinguished road

That homedepot shackle has a working load that's half of what a Harken, Ronstan, Wichard, etc. marine shackle is rated.

The OP should take his mainsheet block in and find a shackle that fits. A decent chandlery should have a whole shelf of different shackles. What you'll find is that the pin diameter is standard size, like 3/16" or 1/4", that many manufactures will make multiple models in. But the width of the opening in the shackle, how long it is, the outside width, etc. are all going to vary a bit between the different 3/16" pin shackles. So take the block in so you can find one that fits.

There are also bow or anchor shackles that are rounded. No reason you can't use one of those.

The pins usually aren't slotted for a screwdriver like that. Usually there is a flat tab you can twist off with your fingers, but sometimes they get really tight and pliers are needed. Often there is a hole in the tab and you can poke something in it instead of pliers. The hole can also be used to tie the shackle closed.

Commonly the pins are completely removable like the one you have, but some have captive pins. The hole on the non-threaded side is too small for the threaded part to fit through, so the pin won't fall out when the shackle is opened.

A keyed pin headboard shackle from post #5 probably won't work in a mainsheet block. Your block probably has a post or tabs with a hole(s) in it, which the shackle pin fits through. The hole is probably sized to just fit a 3/16" or whatever pin. The key on the pin of the headboard won't fit through.

Ronstan, Harken, Wichard, and others make snap shackles that are designed to be attached to blocks. There is a pin on one side and a snap shackle on the other. They are kind of pricey. Like $50 instead of $5. But if you want to take your mainsheet block on and off a lot, it will very convenient!

Garhauer sells various blocks with snap shackles as part of the block. You might find one of these blocks to be comparable in price to buying just a snap shackle for the block you have.
AirbusDriver, DanielF and rugosa like this.
Old 05-31-2012

DanielF is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap View Post
That homedepot shackle has a working load that's half of what a Harken, Ronstan, Wichard, etc. marine shackle is rated.
Does it really matter in this case? This is for a 150lb boat with a 2:1 block and 80 sq. ft. of sail area.

Quote:
Commonly the pins are completely removable like the one you have, but some have captive pins. The hole on the non-threaded side is too small for the threaded part to fit through, so the pin won't fall out when the shackle is opened.
Genius! I think we use these to attach the jib to the forestay on the Hobie cats. Didn't even cross my mind!

Quote:
Ronstan, Harken, Wichard, and others make snap shackles that are designed to be attached to blocks. There is a pin on one side and a snap shackle on the other. They are kind of pricey. Like $50 instead of $5. But if you want to take your mainsheet block on and off a lot, it will very convenient!
These are slick...but too expensive for my purposes. Ultimately I will probably end up taking the block to one of our local marine stores and purchasing a standard shackle, either with or without a captive pin.