Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2012

sailordave is on a distinguished road
Washdown pump....

Chesapeake mud is really gross. And it clings to everything. I do not have a seawater washdown pump on the boat and really don't want to run more wiring/plumbing.
What I am considering is mounting a washdown pump like this in the anchor locker and putting a cigarette style plug on the wires. There is already a MARINCO 12v plug in the locker (up high under the deck) I figure I can plug it in there, pop a short hose on to drop over the side for the intake and another short hose w/ a nozzle on to squirt off the chain/anchor as it comes up.

Or rather, the Admiral can squirt it off as I muscle it up!

Any reason why this would not work? I'd put a plastic bag over the pump when not in use to minimize water infiltration even though the locker is closed.
Old 05-31-2012

jsaronson is on a distinguished road
Washdown pump....

Not sure a 3.5 VPN pump will create enough pressure for you but I like the concept.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-31-2012
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough
Re: Washdown pump....

I would go for the 4.5-GPM model, and connect a short length of hose with a squeeze nozzle. According to the specs, the pump will put out up to 40 PSI, which should be more than adequate to blast off that Chesapeake Bay ooze.

Good Luck,

Gary
Old 05-31-2012

rugosa is on a distinguished road

Great idea - travelineasy has it right, go for the pressure. Not big on the bag when out of use as it will likely trap humidity and turn that pump old early. You could T off your head intake, mount pump forward and plumb a valve into the bottom of the chain locker to connect the hose to. Could also Y it at intake as a back up bilge pump, just in case. A little more work up front but likely less down the road.
Old 06-01-2012

yeah, I wouldn't "seal" the bag, just place it over to keep spray and whatever water makes it in the locker off the pump.

And the link I put up was just an example, I would Definitely go for volume and pressure although that pump does say 20-40 psi

My sailing buddy has said that I probably won't get enough juice from my 12v outlet and that is my concern. His suggestion was get an inverter, a 110v pump and just run the engine when I'm washing down. Which I would be anyway since we'll be weighing anchor. Not a fan of 110v around water though...
Old 06-01-2012
Warm Weather Sailor

Vasco is on a distinguished road

Why don't you do it properly. Mount the pump below deck, wire it into the line that goes to the 12v outlet in the anchor locker, T the water intake into the head intake and mount the hose in the anchor locker where your 12v outlet is. Lots of room under the V berth for all this in a Merlin. Everything is easy to get at. That 12v outlet has a switch on the panel so just switch it on when you need it.
chef2sail likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Vasco; 06-01-2012 at 09:45 AM.
Old 06-01-2012

Tim R. is on a distinguished road

I have a pump mounted permanently in the anchor locker. It is not sealed in any way and so far has lasted years. It is hard-wired and I use two 10 ft. removable hoses with a spray nozzle. One hose goes overboard and the other is used with the nozzle.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------
Old 06-01-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

This was one of my projects twp years ago as we are also in the Chessie mud a lot with a Rocna which brings about 20 lbs up with it.

Make it easy on yourself and mount ot permanently in the anchor locker. As others have said we "t" off the head intake ( we dont use it for the head anyway anymore excepot in emergency as we only use fresh water in our head). We hardwired the pump to a switch on the panel. We bought a pump with easily click on detachable hose and one with high rated psi as Gary ( Travelneasy) recommended)

This will make you installation and usage easy and efficient. All you will have to do is flip a switch...go forward... houist the anchor and line and chain washing it off as it comes up. No extra water from hoses or wet pump present in your anchor locker to smell or deteriorate.

Dave

Dave
jrd22 and sailordave like this.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 06-01-2012

Yeah, mounting it in the Vberth would work... I was just trying to avoid a major project AND cutting a hole anywhere in the boat. Maybe next year. First major project is to put proper seacocks on the the three fwd thru hulls in the Vberth w/ proper backing plates. Even though it's worked for 23 years w/ just a ball valve on the thru hull I don't like that. Then I'll glass a low partial bulkhead in to contain stuff, mount a rigid holding tank and I'll actually be able to use the fwd area to store stuff. Right now w/ a holding tank bladder I wouldn't put ANYTHING in there for fear of puncturing the bladder. Yuck!

T'ing into the head intake would work. Thanks.
Old 06-01-2012

Tim R. is on a distinguished road

I wonder what could happen if you clog your through-hull while using the washdown. Might cause some issue with your head pump if there is no shutoff.

This will not work without a shutoff if your head intake is plumbed common with your vanity drain.

-----------------------------------------------------